back to article 'Free' laptop deals compared

Following last week's claims that 'free' laptop deals were still popular with British consumers, we thought we'd dig deep and find out just how much customers are really forking out. With most networks offering similar dongle-only deals, surely the gulf between bundles couldn't be that excessive, could it? Based on the best …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Alan McKenzie

Really a bargain?

The O2 deal for an Asus UL30 looks a bit less of a bargain given that it was recently on sale for - £350 in car phone warehouse, where, although it is still listed on a home page at that price, it now seems to be a dead link. Still, had you bought at that price, the O2 deal would be costing £95 not saving £89. IMHO there is no such thing as a free lunch (or laptop).

2. The Original Steve

Forgetting something...

O2's network sucks ass.

Orange (and soon to include T-Mobile) seems to have the better 3G network out of the bunch. (Coverage and capacity wise).

Looking at it I'd rather outright buy the netbook with SIM slot built in (or generic dongle) and keep a batch of PAYG SIM's with me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Depends on your area

In my house I can only get 3G coverage from O2. Everything else is intermittent non-3g signal.

3. jonathanb Silver badge
    Stop

And remember

to cancel the contract immediately you get to month 19 or 25 as appropriate otherwise you end up paying more money than you need to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Best time to cancel.

I disagree.

You are better off giving your notice on your contract at the end of month 17 or 23 as your contract will then be cancelled at the end of the 18th or 24th month. Cancelling in month 19 or 25 means you have to pay for a further 30 days notice, possibly taking you into yet another month, racking up way more cost than you need to.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

p per MByte

£240 per Gigabyte is how I'd think of 2.4p per MByte,

1. Rasczak
      Thumb Down

Or £24

If you only take there to be 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte rather than 10000.

24 quid is still on the steep side though when the first 3 gig are a fiver each.

5. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Hire purchase costs

I'm not sure everyone expects the bundle cost to be lower, but certainly not as high as you've shown. Some of the attraction is the low up front charge, and paying for it monthly. Although in most cases the hire purchase costs factored in by the operator are more than buying it on a credit card and paying that off over 2 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.