back to article UK.gov awards managed services deal to lucky dozen

Buying Solutions has announced that it has awarded a two-year IT managed services framework agreement to 12 suppliers. The government procurement agency said the contract, which includes the management of servers, PCs and laptops, is now live at public sector and associated organisations. "This framework agreement caters for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

ceci est le title

At work - public sector body - last month we ordered and recieved a load of laptops. Took about a day for the people who got them to work out why they couldn't get on the wireless - the laptops did not have wireless cards. I overheard the manager shouting down the phone to the supplier "Its 2010, I didn't know you had to specify you wanted wireless. I didn't know you could *get* laptops with no wireless these days"

I am saddened to note the bastard supplier is on this list.

1. David Edwards

Classic example

Sorry but thats the managers fault not the suppliers ESPECIALLY in a government environment (where wireless may be prohibited by design).

What is and isnt to be expected?, CD/DVD writer (think external drives on some), Blueray, firewire, how about external USB ports (we dont have those at work for a reason)

How about mobile phones, most have cameras, but thats a pain in some secure sites where you are lot allowed to take a camera on site.

1. Wibble

Phones in secure locations

You aren't allowed to take phones into secure sites/locations. Makes no difference if theyre with or without camera.

2. InITForTheMoney
        Megaphone

Absolutely right!

This is absolutely right and the standard spec for most government departments specifically has no wireless, bluetooth or infra red, mainly because these services are as leaky as a cracked sieve.

Perhaps if the idiot had ordered the laptops via his IT department and actually stated what they would be used for, he might have got what he wanted.

In any case, this article is about SERVICES not hardware and software procurement.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dont Worry

Cameron will soon deprive public sector workers of sexy wireless laptops, dumb terminals much cheaper to implement and manage. Cloud will do for all other mobile/home access.

All the IT services giants and vendors are busy canvassing Whitehall as we type. They'd far rather not sell lappies at 1-2$ margin and concentrate on bigger infrastructre and managed service offerings.

I wouldn't complain tooo much ;-)

Change is a comin' - and it wont include Facebook, Twatter and hours of browsing for public servants.

2. BorkedAgain
    Alert

Ceci n'est pas une title

Heavens to Betsy. I wouldn't have thought that it was unreasonable to assume a fundamental level of connectivity that comes as standard on a £250 netbook...

I'm guessing the list price of this taxpayer-funded hardware was EXTREMELY reasonable though. I'm right, aren't I? Of course I am. I'm sure you wouldn't have had to pay over-the-odds to order custom laptop hardware with the by-now-standard hardware spec trimmed down. That's be batshit crazy, wouldn't it?

3. proto-robbie
    Paris Hilton

Voici un titre

Paris: definitely over-priced; not sure about the under-specs.

This topic is closed for new posts.