back to article Survey scammers exploit Facebook dislike lure

Chancers are punting a survey scam on Facebook that poses as a curmudgeonly response to the social network's 'Like' button. Offers for the "Dislike" button use the same basic attention-seeking ruse as previous come-ons including "Justin Bieber trying to flirt" and (unrelated, you mucky minded lot)) "the biggest and scariest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

antisocial networking

"The application (which we haven't tested and can't therefore endorse) can be downloaded directly without having to jump through hoops, spam friends and complete stupid surveys."

But aren't hoops, spam and stupid surveys all an integral part of the social networking experience?

If you don't spend at least 5 hours a day watering your tumbleweed farm or sending your friends obscene comments about the "new law" that forces the queen to wear a Burka and rotate Buckingham palace to face Mecca then you're missing the point surely?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook don't want a 'dislike' button

They don't want anything to be negative in their world.

So you end up with posts along the lines:

Dave has broken his leg and it hurts like a bastard.

A.C. likes this.

1. Tigra 07

Tigra 07 likes this...

Tigra 07 likes this

BTW whos this Dave?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dave is the guy with the broken leg.

I'm sure he's added you as a friend by now.

1. Tigra 07

RE: AC

Unlikely, i don't use FB because of their stance on copyright

2. The Indomitable Gall

The point of "like"...

The point of "like" is to allow Facebook to maximise the "interesting quotient" of their feeds. A note with lots of "likes" and comments is clearly interesting, so gets more widely seen.

Now, posts you might want to "dislike" are interesting and newsworthy, and increase the "information benefit" of Facebook, and I don't think Facebook would be opposed in principle to using it as a measure of importance. Instead, I think that the problem is more likely to be that it makes the interface less clean and potentially more confusing.

So I reckon the "Dave has broken his leg" posts are more collateral damage to the Gods of Simplicity and Usability than targets for assassination.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

FaceFail

Move along, nothing to see here, etc...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Yes, but...

...what happens if you "like" the dislike button and "dislike" the like button?

I suspect the Internet will cease to exist....

1. Adam Salisbury
      Thumb Up

Well...

Hopefully only Facebook!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like