back to article London Tube app adds Augmented Reality

The TFL-licenced London Tube app for iPhone has launched a feature that directs customers to points of interest on a map by adding familiar Layar-style markers on their iPhone live view. As well as standard transport locations like tube stations and bus stops, it's now possible to locate London Cycle Hire Docking stations and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually, that's an acrossair rip off

And quite a bad one, too. As a general rule, lots of dots that require a science degree to read = Layar, anything that makes immediate sense = not Layar.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why are you pushing this app?

This is a rip off of the superior Tube Deluxe app by Malcolm Barclay. That's the one that deserves to be promoted, not this.

3. Robert E A Harvey
    Happy

oooh

I'd forgotten about aberdeen steak houses. They were the coolest place to take yer date in the late 1960s, especially when you had no money and wanted to impress her. Them and Berni Inns.

I'd no idea that Aberdeens were still about. I thought that, like the Berni chain, they had slid into oblivion

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

About as cheap as they are edible

They are for tourons only.

Some friends broke the golden rule (Nobody who lives within a 150 mile radius of London can eat in one) a few years back. They lived to regret it. Only a few days of gastro-intestinal problems. And a "HFM?" bill...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Bixie

I'm curious to know what the reaction to those rentable bikes is in London, as they come from a buisness that isn't very far from where I live. It's gathered a lot of press around here when it was decided to implement them in London.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Very visible

I don't normally work in town, but have been in a few times over the last few weeks - been very surprised at just how many of 'em are in use. I s'pose the early adopters are going to be the ones to use 'em most - especially in the honeymoon period, but even so.

5. Plymouthian
    Stop

Hmmm

Aren't these the guys that used shill accounts to diss all their competing apps and post glowing reviews of their own ones? Think I'll steer clear of that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Anonymous Coward - 14th August 2010 01:36 GMT

People in and around the London Soho area see them with affection. People who generally wouldn't cycle are taking to them for commutes.

Some reports of them being built like tanks and being undergeared (having to pedal too fast)

regards

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@DarkNerd

Built like tanks, check. Brakes pretty feeble, check. But they do have three gears. Granted first gear will have you spinning the pedals like a loon. Very useful IMO. I use them to pop out to the shops at lunchtime or meet up with friends in the evening.

7. TonyHoyle

Meh.. Shill accounts are common

You only have to look at the app store/marketplaces on phones to see that any half decent app has dozens of 'Not as good as (competing app)' posts. I think it's considered normal marketing these days.

8. NRT

Why Metres / Miles?

Surely, if you wish to cater for people as ancient as I, you would use yards.

Nick.

9. Andy Hards
    Thumb Up

Augmented reality is cool!

I was out at the Nokia Point and Find event last week (Conspiracy For Good) which used an augmanted reality app. I thought it was fantastic and that augmanted reality is really gonna take off. It does make things more interesting. The number of times I look at a building and wonder about what it's history, or wish I could find out more info about entrance times or anything like that when I see a tourist attraction etc etc. There are so many possibilities with this and the app described in this piece seems as good as any of them. Hopefully with TfL behind it (well their money at least) it won't just dissapear in weeks, they will try and make a go of it, and rightly so. If there are other better apps out there then people will check them out and use them. Most readers of these pages wouldn't just use one app if there is a choice and will find the better one for their needs.

10. jamesrhamilton
    Thumb Up

Bikes n stuff

I've got a key for the Boris bikes - £45 for a year's access with 30 mins free on each journey. I've never gone over 25 mins.

They are undergeared, but they're not THAT heavy and they're good enough for getting around London. They're very well built - sturdy would be the word.

This Layar thing is useful - the layar for it even tells you how many dock spaces/bikes each station has.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh great...

...so now as well as dodging cyclists and pedestrians listening to music and talking on the phone, who wander blindly into the path of cars (yes nearly hit such a dick head Friday), now have to put up with brain dead knobends walking around staring into a screen.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

How long until...

.....an iPhone fanboi walks right in front of a bus while looking at their jesus phone?

13. Rob
    FAIL

Mug me...

... this augmented reality is great for muggers and thieves alike.

Until they wirelessly send an overlay to your sunglasses or a pair of glasses it's a bit pointless walking around waving your phone in various directions to see what's what, waiting for a snatch.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like