back to article Micron intros SSD speed king

Micron has entered the enterprise SSD space with the RealSSD P300, a SATA-based drive it claims is the fastest on the market. It's a 6Gbit/s SATA interface product delivering up to 44,000 read I/Os per second. There is the usual read/write performance skew, producing only 16,000 write IOPS, but Micron points out this is up to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, all jolly interesting...

... but no mention (that I could see) of the likely PRICE!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Hughes
    FAIL

SATA is no good

"Micron has entered the enterprise SSD space with the RealSSD P300, a SATA-based drive it claims is the fastest on the market."

SATA? What bloody use is SATA for the "entrerprise SSD space".

We want SAS!

1. Jason Ozolins
      Thumb Up

SAS is much nicer for multi-head direct attach storage configs

SSDs make really nice log devices, and Snoracle have done very interesting things with SSD log devices sitting in JBODs as the persistent write cache for their clustered Fishworks servers. The JBODs are attached to each cluster head, so you either need native SAS drives or SAS-SATA interposers (gag) on each drive to allow both heads to see all the drives.

A JBOD with a pair of decently priced SAS SSDs and some native SAS Segate Barracuda ES 7200rpm drives would make a very nice building block for a Fishworks clone. The only SAS SSDs I know of at the moment are made by STEC and very expensive; I'm crossing my fingers that the Intel/Hitachi partnership produces SAS SSDs that ordinary mortals or small businesses can afford.

Frankly, the more I read on LKML about the interesting interpretations of SATA standards by various vendors, the more I suspect that "enterprise SATA" only makes sense if you are a big systems integrator or OEM with very good technical contacts back to the drive manufacturer. Everyone else ends up scratching their heads trying to find which subset of SATA functionality actually works properly on each model of drive. Life is too short for that; give me SAS 7200rpm drives over SATA drives, anyday. Full duplex, multiport, multi-initiator, proper tagged command queueing, nice.

3. Steven 23
    FAIL

Fastest? My ass...

The OCZ Revo drive which has been out for ages now has a IO of 75000 (way better than 44000) and a read of 540MB/s with write of 530MB/s??? Where are their PR department getting this stuff from 'fastest', 'biggest', 'hardest' etc etc try checking your facts first for gods sake...

1. Nexox Enigma

Right...

So you'd compare a PCI-e card w/ a sata drive? I'd like to see you fit 8 of those Revos into a 1U chassis, which is comparatively easy with 2.5" drives.

Plus, the Revo is based on SandForce 1200 controllers, which aren't exactly enterprise grade. Trust me, I've tested them extensively.

4. Chris Mellor 1

Crucial RealSSD C300 write and read speeds

Several commentators pointed out that the Crucial RealSSD C300 write and speeds had got mixed up in one place. Indeed they had. That typo has now been fixed.

Apologies and thanks,

Chris.

5. Reg Sim

Should it not read a little diffrent.

"The write speed is pretty close to the 355MB/sec of the Micron consumer RealSSD C300 6gig SATA product sold under the Crucial brand. That product's write speed tops out at 215MB/sec so the enterprise product is appreciably better."

Should that not be:

The *READ* speed is pretty close to the 355MB/sec of the Micron consumer RealSSD C300 6gig SATA product sold under the Crucial brand. That product's write speed tops out at 215MB/sec so the enterprise product is appreciably better.

Just wondering because a write speed of 355MB/sec would kick this ones arse otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like