back to article Symbian Expo opens for submissions

The Symbian Expo is off to Amsterdam on 10 November, and is asking those interested in saying a few words to register in the next couple of weeks or risk missing the opportunity. Not that attendees have had much time to plan - the date and venue were announced less than two weeks ago, less than four months before the event …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach

Obviously the platform of the future...

"The Symbian Foundation (custodians of the now-open-source OS) points out that 27 million Symbian devices were shipped in the second quarter of 2020..."

Remarekable achievement, that...

2. MinionZero
    WTF?

@"27 million Symbian devices were shipped in the second quarter of 2020"

Hey Symbian do you also do sporting event predictions, as I feel like going to the bookies!

3. richard 7
    Coat

Time travel? there's an app.....

The Symbian Foundation (custodians of the now-open-source OS) points out that 27 million Symbian devices were shipped in the second quarter of 2020

But can they give us sporting results too?

Mys the one with the DeLorean keys in the pocket

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

None

I predict that 0 symbian devices will be shipped in 2020.

5. Tralala
    Grenade

read your own stuff first, then post your gem

What is it with you? Still in 'hive mind' mode?

Even reg reports that apple phones are tanking - see stuff on same page [as of today]

Not you - still banging away promoting a brand and conception that has peaked.

On the other hand at least you reported that Nokia still sells the most

Was that so tough?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read The Reg first, then post your gem

It's a well known fact, reported everywhere — including on The Reg — that iPhone sales are up. Despite antennagate.

What's happened simultaneously is that Android sales have gone up even more and, in the US at least, more Android handsets are being sold than iPhones.

So, relevantly to an article where the focus is Symbian: iPhones and Android sales are up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Well, the Earl's Court event last year was disappointingly small, so Gawd knows how many they expect to pitch up in Amsterdam.

7. TechGeezer
    FAIL

not really encouraging...

lol.. are people still programming symbian devices these days...???

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously

... that was the plan. Anyone who pitches up in Amsterdam and registers counts as an attendee, even if they spend 1 hour in the exhibition and 47 hours stoned off their face in a knocking shop.

That's if there's any Symbian geeks left who can afford the fare to Amsterdam of course, Nokia's swallowing and open-sourcing left the market stone dead.

9. Ivan Headache
    Thumb Up

Hmmm - perhaps

it's the other features of Amsterdam that they are using to entice attendees.

There's not one canal to be seen in Earls Court.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

Oh yes there is:

http://www.londoncanals.co.uk/kenc/ken03.html

10. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

They want presenters?

All that needs be said at a Symbian junket: "way too little, way too late, game over"

11. Major
    FAIL

Symbian.. Nokia.. Amsterdam.. coffee shops.. smoke

After following Nokia around for many years talking up Symbian as a platform for potential revenues... all i can say is good luck those still prepared to listen to the various marketing groups within the company. They had a window of opportunity BUT with a process thick as molasses and expensive.. it was more just a revenue center for Nokia. Apple kicked things off without trying to screw developers - that's why there are so many. Factor in the joy that is Apple Development tools [Symbian.. shame on you..]. Having a single device helped a lot... have a look a the numerous screen sizes, OS versions etc that symbian requires you to support and it's no better than j2me.

Lastly.... look at the absolute incompetence of Nokia to put together and manage a 'sensible' market place.. simply a joke. this is what - their 4th attempt? All this from the big boy in the phone market block - I put it down to arrogance and incompetence.

10th of November I will be nowhere near Amsterdam - although perhaps they will be offering more that just recycled marketing material - perhaps Amsterdam's legendary coffee shops will help to lift developers spirits also..

hope it works for those who go.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like