back to article Northern Ireland gets upgraded spycams

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) is planning to spend some of £12.9m in additional government security funding on automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras. A spokesperson for the service told GC News that due to security reasons it could not reveal the exact amount being spent on ANPR or any other details …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. irish donkey
    Thumb Down

The Normalisation Process must be finished

And now time to ramp up the surveillance culture again.

Some of the Police and Politicans in 'Norn Iron' have worked had to end the Them and Us mentatality which allowed the terrorists to survive for so long. I hope they don't undo all that good work.

I know flames are going to come.......... but things did get better for a long time and its just a shame as we seem to be going backwards. But its hard to argue against when scum are out planting bombs again instead of getting fucking proper jobs like normal people.

1. The BigYin

Not just in N.I.

Before they got booted out for being inept (allowing in a coalition of ineptitude) Labour policy was total observation. This is why they began rolling out ANPR all over the south of England. So recording the movement of mostly innocent people in N.I. is just brining them into line with the British values.

Labour may be out of power for now, but you must still obey the machine they put in place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"some of £12.9m"

Well, that seems a bit unspecific - how much of the £12.9m are they going to spend?

And, what's the rest of it for?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And the PSNI whine about not having enough resources... !

Spending £12.9m on ANPR instead of officers. Of course the dissident IRA scumbags would never think of using false plates or plates stolen from the Republic of Ireland. With a bit of invention can get round ANPR easily, for example my N.I. plate begins JEZ, a bit of black tape will easily make that UEZ. How dumb do they think the crims are!

There is already a vast ANPR network in N.I. in fact ANPR in the UK started in N.I. The PSNI have their own ANPR and the N.I. Road Service have another joint ANPR system operated with the authourities in the South, "to monitor journey times", yeah right! I'm in the middle of a FOI fight with Road Service to get details on their system which is everywhere.

So you can already be tracked today as you drive from Belfast across the border to Dublin or wherever.

1. John 62

Sainsbury's

I believe the nearest Sainsbury's Petrol Station to me advertises the fact it records numberplates.

1. scrubber
        Big Brother

Just Sainsbury's

I thought all garage forecourts recorded number plates lest you drive off without paying.

Which is absolutely fine, as long as they only record their forecourt and not the public road.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

If you only knew....

You're right there is a vast network..... I'm sure there's a vast database behind it too.

Thankfully the journey time information system on the M1, south of border & derived from ANPR, isn't used for excess speed detection. I can never even match its estimated times & I don't hang about.

4. JaitcH
    WTF?

Caution: British government transparency at work

typical British civil service attitude: We know what's good for you!

Better ban those white laser flash-lights / torches from China, too, as they make the optical sensors 'fluoresce' when illuminated by these lights.

High-intensity UV lasers also have more interesting effects on many cameras without automatic iris attachments.

Just another waste of money. Question: "If speed cameras don't work gow come these do?"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

See also: Birmingham, cameras installed, cameras disabled

I hope the PSNI have thought this through better than the head honchos of West Midlands Police did when they took anti-terrorist money to pay for installation of surveillance cameras in selected areas of southern Birmingham. ANPR cameras extend out almost as far as the M42 now, eg on the A435 near Beckett's (though this may nominally be outside WM territory).

Then when the public discovered what was going on in the Birmingham areas affected and how it was paid for, the police quickly backtracked, said "sorry", announced they're not going to use the new cameras, and put bags over them.

All of the above is as usual paid for by Joe Public, rather than being deducted from the wages of the idiots who made these stupid decisions. At least *one* of the decisions must by definition have been stupid (not to mention expensive).

6. Graham Bartlett

Great idea

Not. Are we supposed to be saving money or not, guys?

7. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

"improving road and public safety"

In other words, "we're going to be watching all of you wherever you go and whenever you travel, just in case you're a terrorist. Meanwhile, we'll be looking at linking cameras at major junctions so we can check how fast you have traveled from A to B and if we think it's too fast, we can pay for the cameras by giving you a speeding ticket!"

8. CmdrX3
    Alert

More cameras than flies now.

It's actually starting to get ridiculous the amount of cameras we have over here now. I swear every square inch of Belfast is covered. Hardly one in sight when people were being murdered & battered, and now it's the middle of a "peace process" (in the more affluent communities) we obviously need to be observed on a 24 hour basis. Do they really think that terrorists are so bizarrely stupid that they "do a job" in their own car. It tends to go a little bit like this. Knock, Knock Doors answers, sudden rush of armed gentleman, give us your car keys. Right folks, these several heavily armed folk will point a gun at your head until we phone with the all clear. Door closes, unreported stolen car (for obvious reasons) disappears into the distance. It doesn't take a mensa member to figure out exactly how useless the cameras will be.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like