back to article Dell crafts mother of all graphics cards

Here's just what you need to play Crysis. The bespoke server division of Dell, called Data Center Solutions and accounting for a sizeable portion of Dell's quarterly server volumes, has cooked up a PCI-Express expansion chassis that can house up to 16 GPU co-processors. The new expansion chassis is part of the PowerEdge C …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Si 1
    Flame

Fermi based GPUs without a fan?

Fermis without a fan? Isn't that a recipe for a fire or have Nvidia halved the clock speeds?

1. serviceWithASmile

i asked a similar question

last time these cards were mentioned on here.

it was pointed out to me that they will all be running in an air-conditioned server room most likely, so in this case the GPUs take advantage of the server / server room's cooling.

probably won't last long in your coolermaster HAF932 though :)

1. Si 1
        Happy

Coolermaster HAF932

You're surprisingly close, I'm currently using an older Coolermaster Stacker case! It does a decent enough job of keeping an i5 at 4GHz, but probably wouldn't handle that Fermi rack. ;)

2. Stevie

Bah!

The required Liquid Sodium Cooling Unit and connecting hardware were obviously erased from the picture for clarity.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ah but can it..

...you know the rest.

1. LuMan
      Happy

Answer...

Yes, it probably will.

However, I'll still not be able to get a decent Flash video speed on my Mac, even if I connect this to it!!

3. Magnus_Pym

Yes but will it play...

... ok it probably does. But still it had to be said.

4. karl 15
    Happy

stutter

It's hard to get 2 GFX cards to work never mind 16

16x the stutter

5. Fluffykins Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Simulation?

Wil this run a realtime Paris Hilton simulation AND drive a full-spec groin attachement?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Guffaw, Guffaw............

"Yes, but will it play..........." Brilliant!

Seriously impressed. Didn't realise Dell had a black ops division other than for bleeding money out of Intel..............

7. RichardB
    Thumb Up

FusionIO ftw

16 of those Fusion cards in a stripe giving 10TB ultra fast storage. Probably somewhere itro 4-10GB/s sustained read... and several million iops! Trick is having enough CPU/RAM to deal with the data.

Awesomeness. Want.

8. Tom_

OnLive

I gues OnLive will be buying up some of these.

9. Peter Kay

Lucky sods

Imagine the testing the poor product testers had to do..

*boom* *zap* *schhhhwam* *splat*

'no, honestly, I'm just testing that 16 graphics cards work'

(OK, the Nvidia computation cards don't actually have a video output, so technically they couldn't play Crysis. Don't know about the ATI version)

Still, must be a heck of a lot of computation power there.

10. Neil Spellings
    Thumb Up

Perfect for RemoteFX

This type of expansion will become increasingly common once Microsoft release RemoteFX for VDI deployments which will allow this bank of GPUs to be shared amongst hundreds of Virtual Desktops.

11. Graham Bartlett
    Coat

"Taco"

It's a metal taco. So presumably you could hit it with something and it'll resonate.

Congratulations Dell, you've invented the Taco Bell!

12. CASIOMS-8V
    Paris Hilton

Just wondering

How much it costs and how many winter gas bills I need to save on before payback with that mother blowing hot all night . .

Paris, cos, well you know

13. James Melody

What I want to know is ....

.......Will it Blend?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like