back to article Should your data centre look more like Google’s?

With all the talk of cloud, some are predicting the death of the enterprise data centre. The argument is that renting capacity from a service provider reduces costs and therefore owning your own facility in the future will become an extravagant luxury that few will be able to justify. For those not buying this line of thinking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

"architect" ...

... is not a verb.

Get back to me when you learn the lingo.

Until a day, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

"architect" ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/architect

see "-verb".

2. Damion
      Stop

"architect"....

Is a verb!

From the Oxford English dictionary:

verb

[with object] Computing

design and configure (a program or system)

Get back to me when YOU learn the lingo...

Sorry - only joshing you a little (please take it in the light hearted manner within which it is meant). The word architect has been used throughout all the major media as a verb for quite some time now. It is a valid and recognised use of the word in the English language.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

*Ahem*

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/architect

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0038260#m_en_gb0038260

I don't think this surveys for you anyway mate, it's for people dealing in depth with data centres, you can't even use google.

4. BorkedAgain
      Headmaster

"Until a day, then?"

...doesn't quite strike me as correct English either. Sounds like you may be translating from German...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

Thanks, Prof.

As a guy who has had the handle "Network Architect" hung on him several times[1], I'm here to say that I absolutely HATE the term. I did NOT "Architect" your network. I DESIGNED it.

On the other hand, it's another good flag ... People who use it as a verb are usually as technology savvy as people who use the term "cyber" in serious conversation. That is to say, not.

[1] My business cards never read "Architect" ... I much prefer "Boffin at large" or "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer" ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flawed survey

Does your organisation?...

Own your own....

Host for others...

Choose one.

Sorry we do both. We have our own for our staff and systems AND we host for others (seperate entity)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Very dull: plus ca change, and all that

Does any body care about this stuff any more? Once upon a time computers were big beasties that lived some way away from you, dear user, and you could only run what the men in white coats said you could. Then along came the PC and lo! you could run stuff whenever. The white be-coated men scoffed at your lack of a credible infrastructure but you persisted, until one day your CTO realized that maintaining a zillion PCS really was quite a pain and the cloud model might be worth looking at.

In short, we've been down this track before. For some people, and for some apps, a cloud model is fine. For other people, and other apps, it isn't. There's some grayness in between where a mixture of both might make sense, like HPC in the cloud and display on the edge devices. end of story. Nothing to see here folks.

1. Charley 1

(untitled)

We might be able to pro-actively architect something out of it for you though, going forward.

1. Aussie Brusader
        Go

RE:(untitled)

'...going forward.'

Have you been listening to Aussie PM? Seriously, I'd like to 'go forward' and drive over her.

She can't even run her own campain.

Sorry, oh yeah, data centres.

They all look the same to me, lots of racks, fans, air cons and f*ck load of noise from servers and administrators...

1. Charley 1

Re:RE:(untitled)

"f*ck load of noise from servers and administrators..."

Sounds like pretty much any government you'd care to name.

Just noticed it's Thursday in Oz. I wonder if Clarke and Dawe has been posted yet?

4. Eddy Ito
    Coat

"Should your data centre look more like Google’s?"

You mean a motherboard, battery and disks screwed to a baking tin?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like