back to article Oz greenies rattle politico cage with robocalls

Young, right-on greenies in Oz have set up a website for voters to send an automated telephone message to their local MPs. The Australian Youth Climate Coalition (AYCC) deployed so-called “robocalls” to take revenge on politicians, according to a report on ABC News. Former Aussie prime minister John Howard debuted the calls …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rabbers
    Stop

I'm sure I just read a similar article

Just the other day about commercial lobbying groups swamping MPs with spammy email.

Surely we're at the very cusp of a veritable revolution where nobody can communicate with anybody anywhere because the recipient has spam in their email, spam in their fax machine, spam on their telephones and their voicemail boxes and spam in their SMS inbox. Not to mention spam on their Twitter/Facebook or whatever else they use, and spam in their postbox.

Seems like someone should do something about it really.

1. Sam Liddicott

somebody should do something about it really...

...how about an election to decide who it should be (waits for laughter, hears spam instead)

2. Player_16
      Big Brother

Only ONE answer...

...an internet filter.

1. Chad H.
        Stop

Only one answer.

I beleive the only correct answer is to outsource the entire internet to the Hormel Foods Corp. At least then all the spam can be put to good use.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Spam

When John Howard did it during the 2004 election campaign, The Chaser dumped a wheelbarrow load of Spam on his campaign office's doorstep.

2. Head
    Pirate

What the...

.. Why the *&%$ are people in Aus worrying about "climate change" when this *&%$ing internet filter is still going to go ahead???

The amount of bushfires that occur annually here far outstrips man made "climate change" gasses.

*&%$ing greens, go and eat a tree. Vote Pirate Party too. or the Aus Sex party.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Uhh

".. Why the *&%$ are people in Aus worrying about "climate change" when this *&%$ing internet filter is still going to go ahead???"

Non-sequitur in aisle five, aisle five.

2. James 63
      FAIL

Climate Change vs Internet Filter

One of these two things needs support of the current opposition party to get enough votes to get passed into law, and they've said they're not supporting it, so it's not going ahead regardless of who wins the upcoming election.

The other thing contributes nothing to overall greenhouse gas levels, as all that's happening is bio mass is being converted back into CO2, which will in turn be sequestered back into plant form over time. Net change = zero. It's burning fossil fuels that causes the problem.

See if you can guess which one is which?

3. Mark 65

Climate change

The locals are worried about climate change because of recent drought and the fact it gets quite hot for prolonged periods. The cause of this is wholly irrelevant if you can successfully start a bandwagon rolling based on collective ignorance - especially when the country is known as the "land of drought and flood". Might just get a bit wet then a bit hot and dry, no?

If they (especially in places like Queensland) built their houses properly instead of knocking up shitty wooden uninsulated homes that get bloody hot in summer and sodding cold in winter (at least in the south-east) then things might get a little better. I've lived in several and they were all crap - the concept of a breeze flowing through the property is pointless when the breeze is 38 degrees.

As for environmental issues in general, they will never come to the fore as long as the country is utterly reliant on: mining in general; the export of coal; and the use of coal-fired power stations.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Not Labour.

Can The Register get this right one day? It's the Australian Labor Party.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not Labour.

Oops. Corrected.

We do get it right quite often, though...

http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=Labor+Australian&site=&psite=0

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
        Happy

Conceded

I suppose I shouldn't have conflated "I've mentioned this on the odd occasion" with "you've never got it right."

No worries, I hope.

4. Falanx

Aye, there's the rub

"Young people have been a bit sick of hearing the spin on climate change, so this is a great way for them, a message for their politician about what they think."

Unfortunately the vast majority of young, or old, people who feel the need to tell someone what they think about climate change *don't* think. They merely regurgitate the second paragraph of the fourth page article in whatever newspaper they opened that morning. Much like those they refer to as naysayers or denialists.

There's only about five people in the whole world actually thinking about it. And none of them working at NASA.

5. Goat Jam
    Big Brother

What's the carbon overhead

for all the backend stuff that is required to run this? As mentioned by "head", why are these idiots concerning themselves about the fecking idiocy that is man made* climate change when there is a real threat to our wellbeing just around the corner in that moron Conroys Internet filter?

* The only thing man made about the climate change debate is the ridiculous hysteria that surrounds it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Immigration the top issue you say?

Does that mean that the Aborigines have asked for their country back?

Anything else would surely be hubris.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Climate change...

is a myth created at the end of the Cold War to ensure the masses continued to focus on something other than government and keep us living in a state of anxiety/worry/fear (pick the one that matches you most).

Mines the one with more than one set of (restricted and redacted) data......won't something think of the tree!

This topic is closed for new posts.