back to article New 'Tolpuddle Martyrs' demand £50 a day

The immediate future of 11 striking Dorchester tour guides seems to hold just two possibilities: either West Dorset District Council ups their pay to £50 a day, or they'll be on the next prison ship to Oz. The professional "Blue Badge" guides are currently paid a starvation £26.65* a day to show tourists around the Old Crown …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Cardwell
    Thumb Down

"Unite's press release doesn't note how many hours the guides put in"

A pretty vital piece of missing information. You're journalists aren't you? Do some journalism and find out...

2. Richard IV

Looks like it's 4 hours/day

At least that's when said building is open according to http://www.dorsetforyou.com/387120

3. sandman

Change?

Nothing much has changed in West Dorset - period.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Plus ça change,

Plus c'est la fucking même chose.

I sometimes wonder if the Large Hadron Collider is actually sending us back in time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now you mention it

How can I get transported to Oz? They'll be waiting a long time for a prison ship to take them

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unions

Ah yes, the same lot who wrote off the UK economy in the 20th century and now about to try their best to finish the job in the 21st.

If they dont like their salary they can go and get another job. Simples.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

simples you say ...

is "simples" the new shorthand for "please disregard everything appearing above this word as utter drivel".

Not picking on the author of this particular comment. Though he does demonstrate this rule pretty effectively.

7. Neil Milner-Harris

a quick google reveals

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/7988059.Dorchester_tour_guides_in_Tolpuddle_Martyrs_dispute/

Apparently they do three tours which is a half day, so presumably 3.5 or 4 hours.

8. James 139

Well

according to this article http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/8296154.Dorchester_Blue_Badge_guides_angry_as_colleague_keeps_working/

"The Blue Badge guides are meant to lead two 45-minute tours of the Old Crown Court a day."

So, 1hour 30mins of work a day, and only offered between mid-July and mid-September.

Also "Last year the guides were paid £26.65 plus travelling expenses.", given that theyre probably all retired people doing it because they enjoy it, I dont see what theyre complaining about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

according to the article you're quoting from

"the industry recommended rate is £75 [per day]"

so I expect £50 per day is cheap

1. James 139

but

it doesnt say what this £75 is supposed to cover.

If its for a tour guide operating over a large or complicated site, then its understandable.

If its just some old duffers wandering round an old court, trying not to die or steal too much oxygen, £75 sounds rather a lot.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Yes, but...

...they're not working for a day, just a part of it.

Compared to normal office hours (about 7.5 is usual) 26 quid sounds about right as a proportion of 50.

1. Gene Poole

@skelband

Bloody hell, what office do you work at? Any vacancies?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not all it seems...........

The Blue Badge guides are meant to lead two 45-minute tours of the Old Crown Court a day.

Understandably, the locals aren't overly impressed with their claims.

10. Miek
    Joke

£26.65*

Is that before or after tax ?

11. CT

Might only be 2 hours a day, as...

... "The court and cells are open from 2 August – 31 August with tours at 2pm and 3pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)." (http://www.dorsetforyou.com/387120)

There, I'll do some "research" for you. Took all of 2 minutes. Can I have a pay rise?

1. mamsey

Tourism

It's a well known fact that tourists take weekends and bank holidyas off!

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Troll

www.monster.com

Problem, officer?

13. Marcus Aurelius
    WTF?

2 hours a day?

Sounds like you could still claim benefits and do this job.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Terrible

Don't these people realise that they're living in Britain?

Standing up for yourself is restricted to the rich, who threaten to bugger off to sunnier climes at the first hint of being asked to pay their way.

For the rest of you wage slaves, roll over and take it , unless you want to end up like those tube drivers who are forced to associate with the likes of Bob Crow in order to earn the best part of £40K a year and 44 days paid leave.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.5 Hours a day?

If I was retired and lived in Dorset I'd do that for the £17.67 / hour this works out at.

Assuming they hang about for a full 2 hours it's still £13 an hour which is far from the true "starvation wage" that is the minimum wage. They also get travelling expenses which I can only dream of.

The issue here seems not their pay rate, but the amount of actual work available.

16. SMFSubtlety
    Gates Horns

devilish pay

£26.65 per day

4 hrs (as some have mentioned this is how long the place is open for per day)

26.65 / 4 = £6.66 ph

I think we have stumbled onto something here!!!

1. Trevor 3
      Coat

what title? I'm replying to a thread!

The devil is in the detail it seems...

(although some Italian blokes have recalculated and it's now 616)

1. LuMan
        Joke

Recalculated??

How do you calculate the Number Of The Beast? I thought it was originally a typo. Still, if there's a formula for it I think it should be posted somewhere. Failing that, Apple have probably got an app for it....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Sure, come on down!

I think you'll find that nothing has changed down here in the past 176 years...

...the government still has Victorian attitudes

...the country is still run by criminals or ex-criminals

...our biggest industry is still 'digging stuff up'

...we're a bass ackward country rapidly going nowhere

...we're still a horrible place to live, with an evil climate

...we still have the same rail network, both tracks and extent

...the roads have actually got a bit worse as we've got semis on them as well now

...our best export beer is still only slightly better than horse piss

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OTOH

The UK minimum hourly wage of 5:80 translates to AUD $10.14 as i write this. The Australian minimum hourly wage is AUD $15 - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/03/2917094.htm - so they could be better off, if they can find a job.

19. owenb

Enough

We have enough convicts from Great Britan. If they want to join us in paradise let them pay their own way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

I thought...

the actual 'crime' of the Tolpuddle Martyrs was to require an oath of allegiance to the Union, which was illegal, but it was too good an opportunity for the powers that were to pass up, and the nascent Labour movement to let us forget.

20. Graham Bartlett

Wrong Oz

Send them off somewhere to be ruled by witches, dwarfs, flying assmonkeys and an annoying dog that would be better stuffed and turned into a bogbrush.

Hmm, actually I think I used to work somewhere like that...

This topic is closed for new posts.