back to article Blackpad to 'cost $500, launch in November'

Late last month RIM acquired the blackpad.com domain, causing a snowballing of BlackBerry Tablet rumours. This week, news is that RIM has supposedly employed Taiwanese notebook manufacturer Quanta to make the devices. The rumours come with speculation of the tablet shipping two million units in 2010 and a further eight million …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

Shades of Palm Foleo?

Blackberry succeeds because it puts email services in your pocket. If you need anything larger you buy a computer, even a computer in tablet form and avail of the multitude of email clients. What compelling reason would there be for an oversized blackberry?

2. JaitcH
    Happy

A winning tablet ...

needs full communications capability as well as at least one SD memory socket, one or two USB sockets and an OS that will have plenty of Apps, Flash and a real keyboard.

Whilst Android 3.0+ would be the best OS, I guess we will have to put up with RIM OS.

3. Mark Dowling

killer schmiller

>> the only "iPad killer features" it may seem to provide at the moment are the front and rear facing cameras <<

Apart from the fact that it is almost certainly able to be managed by BES? Apart from being able to deploy apps without bowing to Lord Steve and his App Store? Apart from its security model which makes governments scared?

Retirees and 3 year olds aren't going to be buying these things - corporations are, and given Microsoft's inability to get its act together on a slate OS, the other option of a Win7 pad under AD/GP isn't around the corner.

On the other hand, Jim B - don't waste our time with something that has to be tethered.

1. B 9

Corporations are going to be buying these?

I hate to burst your bubble, but corporations are NOT going to be buying these things. RIM has peaked, much better options are available in Android and iPhone, this tablet will flop HUGE.

1. Cameron Colley

@B 9

Have you done a cost and risk analysis for Corporate use of an iPhone or Android device?

How much will it cost to decommission a BES and install management apps to allow remote wiping and program install and updates for iPhones and Android devices? How easy is it to lock them to the corporate proxy and prevent the installation of any old spyware the user wants to install?

Has anyone tested the encryption on iPhones and Android devices to see if the flash chips can be removed and read?

4. EvilGav 1

No mention . . .

. . . of the FletPad from Flat computing ?

Android, USB ports, flash memory slot, Flash usable and so on.

Hits US stores shortly for around $250.

5. Citizen Kaned

but will it...

still require the god awful blackberry enterprise bullshit to be of any use?

their phones might be good but their software is a complete mess and i will never look to RIM for IT solutions again. after trying with their enterprise server express i formed the opinion that they couldnt code a 2 line goto script without requiring megs of ram and 3 sql servers

6. RichyS
    Thumb Down

Oh Canada.

If this is as underwhelming as the Torch, then I don't think Apple or any of the multitude of Androidpads (some of which must be okay, surely. Throw enough cheaply made Chinese shit at the wall...) having nothing to worry about.

1. Daniel 1

"Cheaply made Chinese shit"

Which is completely unlike Foxconn products?

7. Bonce

title

At the end of the day, surely it's going to be the software that makes or breaks *any*pad

8. ian 22

Will it be ...

... banned in Islamic theocracies?

We should be told.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

@EvilGav

Hey do you have a link for that? I had a quick google (oo-er missus) but couldn't find anything.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cost

read on http://www.blackberrytablets.info it will cost same as an ipad. Surely they would undercut them although if the rumoured spec is true then I guess with a blackpad you'll be getting more for your money

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like