back to article Microsoft purges Windows of serious SSL vuln

Microsoft has updated a broad swath of products to fix a potentially serious spoofing vulnerability in the secure sockets layer (SSL) protocol that secures email, web transactions and other sensitive internet traffic. The software company on Tuesday released MS10-049 to kill the bug in Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and 12 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ray Foulkes
    Thumb Down

Argh, more effort removing Adobe crapware

Only just finished removing Adobe crapware (getplus something) installed when I update flash - another update and more registry cleaning....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Get the installer separately

Go to flash player troubleshooting - a link there will take you direct to the installer and avoid Adobes download manager

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting - imagine if the six month deadline was in-place

The question is would have this been fixed quicker if there was a six-month deadline in-place to speed up development?

1. Geoff Mackenzie

Hmm

I would have thought actively rushing security fixes would be a bad idea.

1. j33zO
        Thumb Up

Re: Hmm

I agree, we shouldnt be too hard on Microsoft, rushing this fix would have been a mistake. This vulnerability had serious implications for the standard, and required a renegotiation indication extension for TLS (RFC 5746). Not your every day vuln...

3. Lee Palmer
    FAIL

Hmm

Rather a lot of fixes just after support for win2000 ends. Funny that!

Cheers

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Lee Palmer

August is always a big release I wonder if it's to do with the holiday season, they store them up if they're not being exploited and release them when there are less staff at work, college, uni, school hols etc Aug last year was massive as well.

Windows 2000 and XP SP2 are both now unsupported that's unfortunate but now a fact, it's time to upgrade or move to another OS.

This topic is closed for new posts.