back to article Google faces trial on ageism claims

Google has been ordered by the California Supreme Court to stand trial in a lawsuit brought by a 54-year-old man, who was dubbed a “fuddy-duddy” by his Mountain View colleagues. Brian Reid put forward enough evidence that the court agreed showed possible bias to allow a jury to consider whether he had been dismissed from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It Happens

It's true, many organizations don't want to hire anyone older than about 40. I've run into it a time or two. In some cases it's deliberate policy. Don't hire senior people because they want too much money, or cost too much in self-insured health care costs. These cases are completely despicable, and you can't sue these companies enough.

In other cases, it's more subtle. I think people want to hire people whose resumes look familiar (like the resume of the hiring manager). If the hiring manager is 32, and learned java and web programming in school, then that's what he thinks is good. If the candidate knows C++ and distributed programming instead, that makes the candidate look unfamiliar and therefore antiquated. It doesn't matter if the candidate faced the same issues as the hiring manager. It doesn't matter if the candidate had to personally solve issues for which the hiring manager was able to use a standard packaged solution. And apparently it doesn't matter if the candidate has solved years of programming problems, giving the candidate the "muscle memory" of the master craftsman. It's all about being familiar to the boss.

Whatever. It is fortunate that a few shops know that senior people are more productive than their trendier peers. The senior engineer who finds such a job can work quietly with his fuddy-duddy peers, turning out great code and laughing at the pomposity of younger developers who won't "get it" until they turn 50 or so.

2. jim 45
    Thumb Down

I'm 58

and glad I don't work at Google. Sounds like a nasty bunch of kids.

3. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Mmmm...

For some reason I'm imagining the "Milton" character in the film "Office Space".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So much human misery in the workplace...

Sometimes you just want to puke when you see all the backstabbing, cheating, bullying, harassment and abuse going on... Seems to be the case in almost every company, only the target preferences are different. I suppose it might not be "googly" to use racial epithets, but "old fart" seems to be ok there, while in other companies might be the other way around. But in essence Google seems to be infested with the same schoolyard bullies prevalent everywhere else.

5. Anonymous John
    Coat

Quite right too.

Mine's the one with the zimmer frame.

6. tomboi1978
    FAIL

From a whipper-snapper

“Other coworkers called Reid an ‘old man,’ an ‘old guy,’ and an ‘old fuddy-duddy,’...fuddy-duddy? That term right there convinces me that this lawsuit is frivolous crap by someone looking for a payday. No one under the age of 50 ever uses the term fuddy-duddy. All the excerpts from emails that "prove" discrimination really just show that a guy outlived his usefulness and was no longer productive enough to justify staying on the payroll. That's business. If your knowledge can't keep up with the time then you aren't worth keeping. Google is a technology company, staying on the cutting edge is kind of an expectation .

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Tiresome

Lovely to see crass ignorance and experience displayed so shamelessly - just because your narrow circle do not use such terms. Perhaps you need to get out a bit.

I have worked with many of all ages. As one would expect, the worst incompetence comes with decreasing age (and computing graduates must be the worst). After all, not yet been there nor done that and busy relearning the wheel because they can do it better and their course tutor/Wikipedia/drunken mate taught them all they know.

Hope for your sake you never get past 23. Still, glad you are happy to pay the social security and early pension for all the people you would sack, starting with yourself no doubt. (What makes you think you are so wonderful?). Must say, Google's cavalier attitude to international law, privacy, politics has all the hallmarks of idiot youth riding on the back of one good idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Tiresome...

...said the old fart.

Yours is the one with the tweed elbow patches and ration book in the pocket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Age has nothing to do with this...

I've worked with 30 year olds who are 'fuddy duddies', really, it has *nothing* to do with age - it's a life outlook thing.

Sounds to me like a non-story - but lets give the 'fuddy duddy' the benefit of the doubt - and *still* there's no news story here...

... I'll get my coat... and box of personal stuff... and pension.... which'll buy me some tasty cat food & a bottle of lambrini....

8. tomboi1978

From a whipper-snapper

“Other coworkers called Reid an ‘old man,’ an ‘old guy,’ and an ‘old fuddy-duddy,’...fuddy-duddy? That term right there convinces me that this lawsuit is frivolous crap by someone looking for a payday. No one under the age of 50 ever uses the term fuddy-duddy. All the excerpts from emails that "prove" discrimination really just show that a guy outlived his usefulness and was no longer productive enough to justify staying on the payroll. That's business. If your knowledge can't keep up with the time then you aren't worth keeping. Google is a technology company, staying on the cutting edge is kind of an expectation .

9. tomboi1978

Interesting

Amazing how I've tried to post a comment 4 times and it's not here when every comment I see was posted after my attempts. The only thing I put in my comment that everyone else didn't was I entertained the notion that someone might be looking for a payday.

1. frank ly

Maybe You're Past It

It's probably because you're old and slow and you don't know how to use the intertubes properly. It could be your browser too; install Chrome and your comments will fly onto the page.

This comment appeared a mere 15 seconds after I pressed the Submit button.

1. tomboi1978

Too Old

Yep I'm a dust covered 32 who runs the admittedly small (2 people) IT department at my company. The post I was referring to did show up with the proper time stamp 6 hours after I tried to post it. I was using Chrome BTW.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: tomboi1978

"Amazing how I've tried to post a comment 4 times and it's not here when every comment I see was posted after my attempts."

Thus neatly pointing out today's yoof's "I want it NOW!, and I'm NOT willing to put enough effort into learning how to get it if it's not pointy-clicky![1]" attitude.

Which is probably the real issue ... the gootards, with their extreme lack of internet street smarts, don't want to know about reality from us old timers.

The gootards tried to recruit me a couple years ago ... The interview didn't go well; I completely shredded the youngster attempting to figure out if I knew anything about the internet. They made me an offer anyway. Three times, each time jacking up the offer. I laughed at 'em. Three times.

[1] Insert ::stamps foot:: and or "I'll hold my breath", or "I shall be sick", as you see fit.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Watch out kids

Grandpa got Internet

4. AshC

Aww... is baby spitting his dummy out now?

Now, how do you like it?

10. JC 2

@ tomboi1978

How wrong you are!! If a worker can't keep up, yes fire him- but DO NOT harass a coworker with stereotype abuse.

However I have to disagree with "keeping up with the times". Google IS the times, they were the frontiers in their field so all you really /meant/ was that a conservative person didn't go along with some of the crazy ideas that today's kids have - some of which are brilliant and some of which are utter stupidity.

Kids having the latter ideas attacked back because in this cyber age people can't accept when they are just plain ignorant and feel personal attacks are a replacement for logic. See: Internet (if you dispute this).

This topic is closed for new posts.