back to article The Great Beast's shag pad: Yours for €1.5m

Those with a taste for the occult and a more than a few quid to spare might be interested in viewing the Sicilian cottage where "wickedest man in the world" Aleister Crowley once held court. According to the Telegraph, the "Abbey of Thelema" near the town of Cefalu is on the market for €1.5m, and for your money you get a " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Smith

Lembit Opik

Now that the former pseudo-welsh MP is being forced to sell his London pad, I hear he could use a new home. This should do nicely.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@Matthew Smith

Lembit Opik

Cheeky, cheeky.

2. George Nacht
    Happy

May actually work

Locals insisting, that the house is haunted? Is there a better way to lure visitors from abroad?

Dilapidated condition and lack of any furniture/exhibits in the interior may be worse problems than ghosts.

And the price, of couse. Million and half euro for THIS?

Then, I am neither a real estate agent, nor Crowley enthusiast...

3. CADmonkey
    Alert

ooooooEEEEEEEooooooo

I'm in town right now! Chills!

I might go have a peek...maybe they'll take an offer. Looks like it needs a good coat of paint, though.

The Great Rock ('La Rocca') really is that. Apparently, if Crowley thought any of his minions were getting too big for their boots, he'd make them climb it, so as to make them feel insignificant. It works.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Cefalu-bjs2007-01.jpg

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Where do I sign up?

"Soak me in Cognac, C*nt and Cocaine."

Well, I can certainly think of worse ways to pass a Sunday afternoon...

1. Etrien Dautre
      Happy

This Cheque, Please

Just for stats, how does morning begin then?

1. Scorchio!!
        Coat

A wash

A golden shower/water sports?

I'm just going out for a while.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"Soak me in Cognac, C*nt and Cocaine."

Is there an App for that?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Top Shelf Back Room Booty

""Soak me in Cognac, C*nt and Cocaine. .... Is there an App for that?" ....Version 1.0 Posted Friday 6th August 2010 12:44 GMT

Oh Yes ..... it's in the LOVE Selection Section. Be aware though, they are Wild Magical Mystery Turing IT Trips and Totally Attractively Addictive.

6. peyton?
    Happy

Interesting decor

Ignoring the murals for a moment... somehow I just don't see a 'den of hedonism'... I get more a 'retirement home' vibe from the pics.

7. Alex C

What would you do for a scooby snack?

Is it just me or would this be an excellent setting for a third instalment of the Scooby Doo franchise?

To be aimed at the Adult market, naturally, and one of those films so bad it's good.

8. disgruntled yank

The IT Angle

Took a while, but I figured it out: the oppressive copyright regime of somebody or t'other prevented Crowley from spelling Theleme properly, lest the heirs of Rabelais mulct him. Awful, and the RIAA should hang its head in shame.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

The Great Beast.

Kenneth Clarke?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Title

See, while this day and age may have somewhat boring cults like Scientology, Crowleys cult was something I feel could have really benefited man kind. Where are all the Devil-worshipping, drug taking, orgy indulging religions now? :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Welcome

Where?

Wiltshire.

11. TimNevins
    Thumb Down

Still influencing....

Aleister counts among his many disciples David Bowie, Jimmy Page, The Beatles(he's on the cover of Sgt Pepper), Marylin Manson etc.

http://www.theindustryexposed.com gives a full breakdown

He's one of the main reasons why the occult permeates through music(Rock in 70s,80s and Rap in 90s/Noughties).

12. MnM
    Paris Hilton

u

Sorry to be a you know what, but there's a * where the u should be.

13. Mips
    Jobs Halo

Now there's a thing.

If I remember correctly in the story Good Omens, perhaps the finest of their work, Terry Pratchett and Nail Gaiman name the serpent in the Garden of Eden Crowley; with the implication crowley = crawley. However, as we now see this may not be the case.

This topic is closed for new posts.