back to article Virus writer charged with destroying property

Japanese police have arrested a suspected virus writer over allegations he created and distributed an old-school virus that targeted freetards and destroyed data. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, from Osaka, allegedly created the "ika-tako" (squid-octopus) virus. The malware programmed to searched out and destroyed data files from file …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel Brown
    Joke

No title thank you.

It'll be a calamari-ty if he's only fined a few squid.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tosser!

He wanted to punish file sharers.

He needs a good slap. Another one with god like fantasies.

3. Michael 28
    Linux

Viruses?

....haven't had one in ages.

4. John Lilburne

Hooray!

One hopes that they publish the pictures of all the freetards that his virus impacted.

1. steward
      FAIL

That would start an interesting precedent

Publish photos of the *victims* of a crime.

Where do you want to go from there? Burglary? Rape?

5. karl 15
    FAIL

Same old...

So tell me how file sharers are freetards then?

the reg seems to be against p2p :/

1. NumptyScrub
      Troll

file sharers are not freetards, but all freetards are filesharers

"So tell me how file sharers are freetards then?

the reg seems to be against p2p :/"

If the virus was seeded as ubuntu9.iso.exe then I agree wholeheartedly with you. However if it got seeded as avatar_1080p_proper.avi.exe then it was obviously targeting freetards.

Given the stated intent of the miscreant was "to punish filesharers" then I'm confident it got seeded masquerading as popular copyrighted content, and therefore was in fact targeting freetards, and not perfectly legal file sharers of non-copyrighted, freely distributable content ;)

6. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

The RIAA/MPAA Hero?

This idiot is basically doing what some idiot US senator proposed a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that the *AA's would do exactly that if they could; in fact, they might be doing it already. P2P is a surefire way to get all kinds of crap, which is why I have restricted P2P to a VM.

But truly, I'd expect this from a big media company, not from a jackass virus writer. Destroying personal files, "pirated" or not is a no-no. Jail him!

7. stizzleswick
    Flame

Interesting...

...that somebody previously convicted for copyright infringement all of a sudden claims to be so hot-and-wired about it that he wants to "punish" other infringers by his virus.

<rant>On basic principles, I regard any software that flies false colours and installs itself on any machine I own or control (as its primary user and/or administrator) without notifying me first -- and giving me an easy option to prevent the installation -- as malware, no matter how well-intended the software may be.

People who write such software, or cause such software to be written and/or distributed (certain executives at Sony come to mind...) should be committed to gaol for no less than the number of years equal to the number of computer users whose rights they have thereby infringed. Make that a French or Turkish gaol.

</rant>

1. Ole Juul
      Coat

I would be a little more lenient

After all he did give users a nice humorous icon of an octopus. That's got to be worth something doesn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like