back to article Server sales do drunk cat bounce in 2010

For the last three quarters, the server business has been on the upswing, with strong growth relative to the perfectly awful sales levels set at the end of 2008 and in the first half of 2009. Intel is making money hand over fist, and even Advanced Micro Devices has put some black ink on its bottom line. The server business is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Eh?

I'm confused.

We're now 2/3 of the way in the year and they are predicting less sales this year, based on info as far back as March?

Surely the best way is to go.

Ok how much have HP/Dell/ Fujitsu sold for the last 2/3rds of a year and base it on that?

Then again they couldn't charge a fortune for the reports if it was that simple and bleedin obvious.

Bizzare.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

erm...

cats don't drink.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: erm....

"cats don't drink"

Well, I can tell you a funny story about a cat that took a liking to Baileys. The next day the poor thing looked like it was on it's ninth life.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

use?

I used to wonder why Gartner and friends existed - who would want a report on the server market?

Sadly i now realise that the people who use and need these reports are the money people who directly or indirectly affect the share prices by buying or selling.

This means that no matter how much an El Reg reader (read: IT professional in some form) might think a report content is nonsense, said report can still make or break a company/product!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so Windows and Redhat the winners

So in summary people moving to Windows 2008 or Redhat from Unix. Doesn't surprise me. We are moving a big chunck to Windows from Solaris, Sybase gets migrated to SQL Server for performance reasons (but that would be next year).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: so Windows and Redhat the winners

"We are moving a big chunck to Windows from Solaris, Sybase gets migrated to SQL Server for performance reasons (but that would be next year)."

Good luck with that one. if you are expectiong a performance increase, I guess that you are running Sybase System 10 on Solaris 2x...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Re: so Windows and Redhat the winners

No we are running Sybase 15 on Solaris 10. Since you opened the conversation, I have already transferred all my data and schema from Sybase to SQL Server and done the tests. This is a massive system to transfer so no margin for errors, or jokes. My SQL Server runs on my PC 3.4G Ram, 2 core, the Solaris box is a proper production box with 32G memory, don't want to give much detail for obvious reasons. Any ad-hoc query like count, group by anything I've thrown at it runs quicker on my PC SQL Server. I have 20m rows in some tables. The more complicated stuff still runs much faster on SQL Server. I challenge you to do the same, if Sybase wins I'll buy you a beer or 2.

I think this is a Sybase shortcoming not Unix but don't have time or space to run Sybase on a Windows box. I know the optimisation on Sybase is no good so wasn't surprised but was surprised by the margin, ranges from 1.5 to 5x.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like