back to article Gov egghead: Companies should have daily PT

One of the government's top social-policy eggheads has said that companies should have exercise periods for their staff, according to reports. Professor Julian Le Grand, a bigwig at the London School of Economics, outlined his plans during a speech to the Royal Statistical Society this week. His remarks were reported in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lickass McClippers
    Boffin

I'm...

...conjouring up a mental image here of workers in a car factory doing star jumps in time to some jaunty tune...

Don't really see it catching on to be honest...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It *is* a slow news day

if you're slicing your stories this thin, El Reg. Shame on you.

3. David Evans
    Thumb Down

"It's a softer form of paternalism."

How about, and I know this is wild and whacky and a bit out there, but what the Hell, here goes; HOW ABOUT NO PATERNALISM AT ALL, YOU TOSSER? Oh, yes, because then there'd be no need for "Professors of Social Policy", would there?

4. Colin Millar
    Black Helicopters

Hmmmm.....

This is two Le Grands in as many days (see also http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/23/smoking_licence/)

The Government must be up to something really bad and is simply trying to distract vigilant Reg readers with all this glorious swivel eyed nutter output.

5. Stephane Mabille

Fascist?

Hi,

The other proposals from the same great freedom defender include a mandatory £200/year smoker card to be able to buy cigarettes. Sounds even more enforceable than the 1 hour gym/day... I suspect the next step will be a prayer and a serment of allegeance!

6. Paul Kinsler

they should make it a discount card...

Double the taxes on ciggies, then buy the card to pay only the current normal tax. Thus you don't _have_ to have a "ciggie discount card", but it'd make (financial) sense to get it. Much more customer friendly.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hunting

To all corpulent reg readers: I'm setting up the El Reg Harriers. Now that hunting dumb animals is prohibited, let's all have fun whilst getting some exercise by chasing some fuckwit nuLab guru up hill and down dale.

A welcome side effect will be the reduction of stupid schemes tending toward the destruction of the health and education services.

Those people who are addicted to the weed and/or alcohol may prefer to form an orderly mob, whilst waving scythes. Just make sure you look like a load of chavs rather than democratic protesters, otherwise the police will turn up.

8. Chris Cheale

@nickj

Where do I sign up? ;)

9. Dave

Fine by me...

Given that two days a week I manage to bugger off to the local gym for an hour during normal working time, avoiding the rush at start and end of the day and at lunchtime. Although I guess the result of this is that I'd find that it was busy when I wanted to use it so OK, I've changed my mind, it's more nuLabour crap and shouldn't be allowed.

Oh, and an icon suggestion - how about a steaming turd.

10. Jeremiah Steidl
    Thumb Up

@ nickj

Are you still accepting applications for leader of the mob?

11. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

I hope...

...the Gubbinsment isn't paying this berk to come up with all this bollocks. Because if the are, it's time for a revolution.

Aux armes, citoyens!

This topic is closed for new posts.