back to article Happy Sysadmin Day!

It’s the last Friday in July, so that can mean only one thing - happy SysAdmin Day! Yep, today is the celebration of all you lovely lot who spend half your lives chilling your socks in air-conditioned server rooms across the globe. System administrators may shy away from public life and occupy dark corners that are only …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Pirate

BoFH

I officially petition, that from this day forward, Sysadmin Day, now be known as International BoFH Day!

1. Sean Kennedy
      Thumb Down

No no, not BoFH day

That's the following Monday, and only applies to those who didn't get at least a "Happy Sys Admin day" from work.

Personally, I'm planning to install an english to pirate translator on the proxy/email servers.

2. jake Silver badge

Someone's confuzled ...

"Now celebrate - eat a doughnut, read some restricted company documents and play some shoot-em-up."

That's not sysadmins ... that's backup-monkeys.

1. It wasnt me
      Happy

backup monkeys, sysadmins....

Pah.... Same difference.....

Missed, I ducked too soon.

1. Juillen 1
        Pint

Ducked?

That's why we string the piano wire we buy as 'Cat (n) cabling' on the returns between the desks at about 1 foot above chair seat level when setting that kinda quote up.

Those that fall for that little one usually forget to turn off the PC before ducking, so we have an easy time of sending the suicide note around (with the obligatory resetting of the global network times for a fraction of a second so the timestamps all work out nicely).

3. HighlightAll
    Pint

I don't want to hassle Simon

but on a day such as this, a new episode should be mandatory, no???

4. Paul 28

364 days?

I think you'll find system administrators get no respect 365 days a year.

1. Quirkafleeg

365 days?

That still leaves one day each leap year.

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

To quote:

>>sometimes we don't know our System Administrators as well as they know us.

Hmmmm... Now that's not at all sinister, or worrying, or anything.

Someone's been reading BOFH too much methinks.

So, how does one celebrate Sysadmin day? Cake, cards, furtive fumblings under the mistletoe in the server cave? Or, I guess, beer.

1. Juillen 1
      Pint

Well

Unaudited company credit cards, beer, and the attentions of the nice gals from HR and Finance with the negotiable virtue make a good start..

After that, everything's icing on the cake.

6. Locky
    Pint

For anyone reading this

I would like my token gift in a glass, about 568ml in volume.

thanksverymuch

7. Bonce
    Joke

Tsk!

I got Error 404 from the official site. Bloody wasters.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Pah...

..I prefer it as national cheesecake day.

9. informavorette
    Pint

Last Friday of July != SysAdmin day

Well, maybe in the UK. Here, SysAdmin Day is the 256th day of the year, or 13th september on non-leap years.

But if you admins insist on celebrating today, I offer my congratulations.

10. Wize

Fairy snuff, but...

...how do I get all the non-IT people to recognise the day?

Maybe I should tweak their default home page and set an advert for it in all banner prints...

1. Juillen 1
      Pint

I usually find..

Experiments with Power over Ethernet in the live environment, and only putting one poster up (but that one in the first aid area) usually does the trick.

How else are we going to do capacity planning without testing the boundary conditions 'eh?

2. HighlightAll
      Pint

Do a Selfridge

and start advertising 125 days before the event.

Happy Christmas.

11. Havin_it
    Unhappy

Damn it

I'd love to set this as a note in our Horde-based calendar, but I don't think it'll do the logic for "last Friday of July" ... sniff ... doomed to remain un-feted...

Mind you, given that I haven't solved the above, I probably don't deserve to be anyway.

12. Dann
    Megaphone

How about the UK site?

Every year there is no mention that there is a UK part of sys admin day!

Anyway it is located at

www.sysadminday.co.uk funnily enough.

Please can The Register mention the UK site next year.

13. jai
    Pint

coincidence? synchronisity?

or the transperambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter?

whatever the cause, it seems strange that our servers went titsup today and so our sysadmins were called into action to save the day.

Hurrah to them! on the one hand

but on the other, you can't help but wonder if they didn't perhaps tip the scales in their favour, considering the day and all

14. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Grenade

As a support monkey

I would like to wish all you SysAd's a very happy SysAdDay.

I used to be a SysAd until some greedy bankers (other spellings are fine too) screwed the pooch and I got to spend 14 months unemployed.

I would offer you a beer but we Support Chimps don't get paid anywhere near as much,...

and the perks are non-existant compared to SysAdPerks.

15. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Pint

Happy sysadmin day to everyone!

May your users be silent and your logfiles clean.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?!? No thanks

> we don't know our System Administrators as well as they know us

And that's exactly how it should be. You are not cleared for that information, citizen. Please report to the nearest termination booth. Thank you for your cooperation.

The Computer

This topic is closed for new posts.