back to article BT layoffs boost profits

Layoffs and cost-cutting at BT have boosted BT's first quarter net profits by a third to £284m. However, revenues were four per cent down to £5bn, and CEO Ian Livingston said the firm is in talks with the government about how deep public spending cuts will affect it. He described the results as "an acceptable start to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

<title>

So BTs first quarter net profits are £284m and the money grabbing b'stards are still upping call charges by 10%?

Thieving gits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Whilst at the same time...

ICT'ing foreign nationals into jobs. What a Great British company they are.

2. Code Monkey

BT: Bunch of Twunts

If it wasn't for iPlayer, software updates and whatnot I'd tell them to go screw themselves and go completely mobile.

3. Andrew 63
      FAIL

Errm...

.. you hit the nail on the head with that response...

Exactly what they are, profiteering, money grabbing gits.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

You can raise the call costs...

since in the last 6 months my bill for calls has been less than £10, i have tons of free mins to use on my mobile phone.

The only numbers i use the landline for is 08 numbers when i am *forced* to have to use them.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Happy

You could try using

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

The site lists many well known companies, and their equivalent geographical numbers.

Alternatives listed for 0500, 0800, 0808, 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 numbers.

3. Da Weezil
    Flame

Oh for an escape from BT!

Moved phone-line to Post Office yesterday, its about all we can do on Market One areas where we also get fleeced by the BTw monopoly. Paying twice as much for half the speed and a small allowance, OFCOM really knows how to let BT screw people over.

Before fanbois leap to BTs defence about providing service here where no one else has yet trodden, The infrastructure is here, so WHY am I paying higer costs for slower speeds than LLU?

Why are prices set to "lever people onto to 21cn services in areas where these services are yet to be offered?

OFCOM and BT.. what farce, for market one that means an abusive monopolist backed by a toothless and compliant watchdog

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BT

BT has fanbois?

4. Martyn 4
    Pint

@ac 11.01

you dont even need it for 08 numbers

use saynoto0870.com and you can get the geographic number.

and if its a 0800, go to 0800buster and call that way

simples!

the pint? paid for with the savings on those calls

5. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Downsizing

BT laying off staff?

Bad news for India, then.

Note to self: Must tell Mr Cameron.

6. dephormation.org.uk
    Big Brother

"an acceptable start to the year"

There's one BT employee who certainly needs to be sacked.

So he can be prosecuted for criminal offences such as copyright theft, fraud, illegal interception, and computer misuse.

That would make an acceptable end to the year.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like