back to article SanDisk launches Cruzer Blade USB thumblet drive

SanDisk has launched what it calls a paperclip-size USB thumb drive, designed to fit on a key ring and store from 2GB to 16GB of data. SanDisk Cruzer Blade The Cruzer Blade is not the smallest-ever thumblet drive but is about half the size of an ordinary USB thumb drive. Traxdata claims to have the world's smallest thumb …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rupert Stubbs

Pc world is your friend for these

They're half price in pc world (Uk) - I just got a 4gb one for less than a tenner. Seems to work.

2. Gareth Lowe

Launched?

What? I've had one of these for months. 8GB, 13.49ukp.

3. Robert Ramsay
    Headmaster

"keyring"

They always say this - and then put the keyring loop in the plastic body of the USB stick where it snaps off. If you want to put a USB stick on your keyring, get one where the USB stick swivels out of a metal clip - and the keyring loop is part of the metal clip.

4. Simon_E
    WTF?

These are new?

I bought mine (16Gb) back in mid April. For not quite £22...

5. Natalie Gritpants

Review Fail! - Can't go smaller

Of course they can, the limiting factor is the USB connector (there's room in there to put the chips). You will have to remember to tie a piece of string to it if you don't want to use pliers to extract it though (just like certain products for women)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I think I have one of these...

I'm pretty sure I bought one of these babies in Currys about 3 months ago. It's certainly similar in physical appearance and it's smaller than my thumb but stores 2GB.

7. 68K

Why is this news?

There's nothing special about this drive at all. It's smaller than a lot of drives, but nowhere near as small as the smallest (I've had my Pico-USB drive for nearly 2 years now). And there's nothing ground breaking in terms of storage either.

The title of the article should be 'Sandisk launches totally uninteresting USB drive'. Slow news day?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

micro SD reader

The smallest seem to be the micro SD readers, I've a Kingston model, takes an 8GB card, 20mm x 12mm x 2.5mm - and having loaded it up you can put the SD card in your phone.

9. Anonymous John

Keyring?

Great! So you can lose all your keys on the train as well as a shedload of confidential data.

10. Hollerith 1

Damm near lost the thing

I've had one from Argos for many months. It was so tiny I kept losing it in the depths of my backpack until I bought a little aluminium pill capsule from Muji and popped it in, snuggled in a bit of tissue to keep it from crashing around. Amazing little thing. I am trying not to give it a name.

11. James 93
    Paris Hilton

Finally

Yay, at last i can own a thumb drive to go on my key ring. My poor Sandisk Titanium that currently sits on my keyring is a thing of the past!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

PNY

Picked up a couple of PNY Micro Attache when last in the States.

Fit nicely on a keyring with RSA SecurID and Kingston Microsaver key.

8GB: ~$20 a pop.

13. Nexox Enigma

Ehh...

I've gone through a few of those Pico USB items linked... and they're just too small, I can't manage to keep them. I'm not the sort of person who loses things frequently, but I've given up on tiny usb sticks, even though those Picos are actually pretty fast (for a USB flash device.)

Oh well, haven't lost this massive Kingston pivoting deal in months, yet.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Got three of these for €28 each a month ago

15. Shane Orahilly

Sponsored article perhaps? Otherwise, it's just really old news.

Anyways, had a 4 GB one of these for months. Cheap enough, works. Being a non-pro, I didn't realise there would be no cap for the plug (Argos just billed it as a USB Memory stick, so I assumed it would), and I do prefer to keep electrical connections covered when not in use :/ Other downsides are, well, it's a bit TOO small, if you want to physically label these for finding stuff in a jiffy out of a pile, and the plastic loop is just asking to be broken - although I did manage to persuade a 1mm keyring through it without damage.

16. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Duh.

Maplin has been selling these for months....

17. Mips
    Jobs Horns

I put mine in my pocket...

..and it gets lost in the small change. Tried to buy a newspaper with it, then I nearly fed it to the dog, thought it was a dog treat. Oops.

18. Julian

Not new, and even Sandisk themselves do smaller

Yup, I bought two of these in Argos months ago (around easter I think). They're OK but by no means the smallest. In fact Sandisk themselves do a smaller one.

For the one I keep on my keyring I bought one of the Sandisk 8GB MicroSD cards that comes with a tiny USB adaptor (http://www.sandisk.com/products/mobile-memory-products/sandisk-mobilemate-micro-reader) and that makes a pretty cost-effective and really tiny USB drive, about half the size of this supposedly new Sandisk offering, and I can always upgrade it as prices drop by swapping the microSD card for a bigger one.

On a keyring it's always tied to the bunch of keys so one can't really have a USB drive that's too small (i.e. easily lost). Works for me.

- Julian

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Available in the UK for ages

Had mine (8GB) for months and months, seems very reliable and plenty quick enough so far. Even works when windows is booted in safe mode which a lot of other USB drives apparently don't (about the only one in the office that worked when we needed to put emergency AV updates on to all boxes).

This topic is closed for new posts.