back to article Lara Croft, the Way in Derby

Lara Croft Way, part of a new ring road in Derby, officially opened this week, with a Tomb Raider look-a-like posing for photos. As any Tomb Raider fan would know, Ms. Croft was conceived in Derby, so the voluptuous star was a natural choice, topping an online poll to choose the road name. Lara Croft Way Sign, she's all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. heyrick Silver badge

Mmmm, looks like the good end of town...

:-) Isn't there supposed to be a sign at each end of a road? Was the other end worse?

1. David 49
      Boffin

It's a ring road

It has no ends. Duh.

2. Parax

Not only but also...

Yes at each end AND on both sides of the road so at least 4 Location/Directions to choose from.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its still a dump tho

Derby is still a dump regardless of any popular road names. Im surprised the lookalike wasn't covered in drool by the slackjawed inhabitants (and yes I unfortunately lived there for 9 years).

3. Anonymous John

Councillor Lucy Care

Same initials. Coincidence?

4. Alan J. Wylie

Another related story

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/27/letsby_avenue/

5. irish donkey
    Thumb Up

Ahhhhh Miss Croft..........

we've been expecting you........

finally a good reason to visit Derby

6. BlueGreen

So british ...

... so dingy. So concrete, industrial, 9-to-5, small office, shuffle the papers, another cup of coffee, and Lara Croft shoehorned into it as if that could change anything about ash-grey Derby.

Actually the funniest thing since yesterday's Stob. I'm still giggling. Should have had chips in one hand & pint of ale in 'tother, youth, and in the clubs by ten.

That's bloody hysterical, pics cos it *actually happened*!

Next stop Paris Hilton in Walsall with a kebab.

Made my day! <happy>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What do you expect...

It's a ring road around the centre of town, it's meant to keep traffic away from anything pretty so it's bound to be grey.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

hmmm

That lookalike looks more like Angelina than any Lara. LOL

1. dogged
      Thumb Up

re: hmmm

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: hmmm

The look-a-like has nice legs but her juggs aren't half as bix as the pixelated babe she's impersonating...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Derby is shit?

Well, yes. It's the home of Nexsan...

9. John Savard

Is Brighton Next?

it is rather odd to hear of a town naming a road after a fictional character who is only notionally from it. But other cities have real people who were born there with similar claims to fame.

Will Brighton soon inaugurate a Katie Price Way?

1. Professor Tinklepants
      Grenade

Will Brighton soon inaugurate a Katie Price Way?

Apparently, the Council have been thinking about it but they haven't yet found a road containing only gaudily false-fronted shops that actually consist of nothing more than rancid, evil-smelling but ultimately empty basements.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

That photo sums us up!

Something even vaguely glitzy and what do we get as a backdrop? A car park at the back of some dreary local industrial area!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: That photo sums us up!

Exactly my first though too, yet another reason why I need to get gone from this dump of a city. Moving here was a terrible idea...

11. Studley
    Troll

A ring-road? How fitting...

...for a game series which has been going around in circles for the past decade.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last time I looked...

Derby already had TWO ring roads.

Are they trying to get one up on London?

13. Len Mackin

God it...

Looks grim there!

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's grim alright...

I used to work at Core Design during the tail-end of the Tomb Raider era.

Before they opened the bridge at the train station it was pure hell walking to work. You had to cross that horrible ring road at the "Cockpit" and pray you could walk along the river if it hadn't flooded. If not, you had to go over the bloody road bridge with mad Mercedes and BMW drivers momentarily loosing control at 80mph as they were caught out by the shape of the bridge.

And nights out. Oh god. I've had a gun pointed at my face in anger and felt safer then than I ever did on a night out in Derby.

There's just nothing nice about that town. Naming some road after a virtual big-boobed bimbo won't do the place any favours.

This topic is closed for new posts.