back to article HTC says sorry for Orange Hero Android 2.1 update delay

HTC may have posted the very long awaited Android 2.1 update for its Hero smartphone last month, but it's been taking Orange rather longer to release a version for its own-brand Hero. And yesterday the network operator said that HTC had said sorry for the set-backs and promised that the update will arrive next week. “We …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged
    WTF?

sorry?

sorry for taking so long to cripple the OS as per T'Orange's requirements?

1. frymaster

actually...

...the only customisation I've seen is an orange logo for part of the boot process, and the default bookmarks (and homepage) point to orange URLs. Certainly there's no massive UI changes or restrictions (tethering still works, for example)

2. DaveyDaveDave
    Unhappy

Lucky Orange customers...

I'm still waiting for it on my T-Mobile G2.

3. dotdavid
    Boffin

Longer than anticipated

@dogged - indeed, at the very least they could be honest about it.

"Testing the update across European markets took longer than anticipated" - what exactly is there to test when we're all using the same mobile telephony standards? Why do I get an image in my head of some Orange exec flying all over Europe, occasionally looking down at his Eclair'd Hero and checking that it hasn't crashed yet...

Scientist icon because I think Orange might need one.

4. Jimmy Floyd
    Unhappy

T-Mobile

Got it last week for my T-Mobile-branded Hero. It's pretty good and a definite improvement.

Unfortunately it coincided with what appears to be a world-wide spannering of Facebook for HTC Sense, so my contacts don't match my FB friends. As yet, not much response from HTC, Facebook or T-Mobile on that one.

Does The Register know anything, I wonder?

1. Bonce
      Go

It's fixed

Or at least it sprang back to life for me this morning. Try this:

People App -> Online Directories Tab (3rd button at the bottom) -> Facebook

Press the hard Menu key and choose refresh. Give it a while to download the images.

5. Chris Officer
    Go

Forget next week

It's out now. Part 1 was released yesterday and part 2 arrived this morning.

1. Justabloke 1
      Alert

Really?

And where would one find this update? Its not on the HTC site.

1. Chris Officer
        FAIL

It's not being delivered through the website...

It's being delivered over the air, same as the 2.1 update was for generic Heroes and the branded ones on other networks.

If you're phone hasn't detected it already try setting the date ahead a month, otherwise you might have to install the most recent Orange ROM on the HTC website (version ending .66) before you can get it. Once part 1 has installed you should have a new option under Settings->About Phone where you can check for software updates. Push 'Check Now' and part 2 should be delivered (all 70 odd meg of it).

1. Justabloke 1
          Thumb Up

Cool...

I've got the .66 rom installed,actaully my Hero arrived with that ROM on board. I'll try the date trick.

Cheers

2. Justabloke 1
          Thumb Up

Excellent...

strange about the need to change the date but hey ho.

6. Professor Tinklepants
    Thumb Up

I got mine yesterday!

I'm on Orange and I got mine yesterday morning. The first part came through automatically and then I got the phone to check for any more updates manually (through the 'about phone' part of the settings menu) and then the 2nd part came down.

It's a definate improvement as it's fixed a couple of glitches that I had found annoying and there appears to be lots of little bits added to the functionality all over the place. My favourite so far is the speaker button being displayed on the screen when someone calls you, instead of having to go into the menu.

Also, although I backed everything up before the update, I didn't need it - didn't lose anything at all from the phone. Which was nice!

All in all - 10 out of 10!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like