back to article Apple brings iMac line up to date

Apple has indeed updated its iMac line, as anticipated, beefing up the line's speeds'n'feeds and adding support for the new SDXC memory card format. The new models sport a selection of Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors and come with 4GB of 1333MHz DDR 3 as standard. Apple iMac summer 2010 And Apple has dropped Nvidia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sulphur Man
    Coat

Happy New Year

Welcome to 2010, Apple iMac!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Epic fail - not future proof!

No USB 3.0!

Failed before they hit the shops!

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

USB3? who cares

What does USB3 do that Firewire 800 can't do better?

Firewire pro audio hardware is in widespread use. USB3 isn't yet.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Volker Hett
      Thumb Down

Does Intel offer USB 3.0 support?

I have an Asus Board with an i7 and that came with a PCIe 1x card with USB 3.0 ports. Ok, faster than USB 2, but ought to be on a 4x or 8x slot to run at full speed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touch...

But if you touch the keyboard on the bottom left corner...

4. Basic
    FAIL

Woohoo

iMac owners can now use processors that have only been out for a few years :D Congratulations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Quite right!

Unlike Windows, OSX is so efficient it could whip Windows7 running on half the processor power Win7 needs to do the same job!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Possibly

But all the work's going into iOS instead of Mac OS X. The newest updates are mostly updates to the latest versions of the free stuff in it (Samba, CUPS, etc...) and bug fixes.

We've only just got APIs to get graphics card hardware acceleration in 10.6.3 (and then 10.6.4 borked it for nVidia cards).

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Quite right!

Isn't delusion grand?

I need a smiley whose eyes are too far apart for this one.

2. FIA Silver badge

eh?

I'm confused?

"iMac owners can now use processors that have only been out for a few years :D Congratulations."

The 3.2 GHz dual core i3 used in the 27" iMac was released end of May.[1], the quad 2.8GHz i5 they're using in the high end 27" iMac looks to have been released on July 18th[2].

1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i3_microprocessors#Dual-Core_Desktop_processors

2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors#.22Lynnfield.22_.2845_nm.29

3. Volker Hett

Yeah!

Bought that i7 CPU back in the 80s but had to wait for another wormhole in the 90s until I got the board supporting it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Something like the FingerWorks pad they killed off, then?

Wow. It looks like Apple have finally launched something resembling a replacement to one of the TouchWorks products they killed off after buying up the company back in 2005, in the form of the new Magic Trackpad. What's the betting that everyone will see this as some kind of amazing Apple innovation, rather than a shiner but more limited version of hardware invented elsewhere and Borged by them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

ODFO!

That is all.

6. Nexox Enigma

Damned screens...

So everything is going to be 16:9 now? How wide do we need computer screens to get? I hope we never get to the point of 22:7 or whatever the actual cinema aspect ratio is, this is getting a bit insane.

Now where did I leave those massive 4:3 CRTs...

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

16:9

Having recently bought a 27" monitor, the fact it's 16:9 and not 16:10 is a non-issue when the screen's almost 34cm high and you've got a vertical resolution of 1440 pixels. A 16:10 27" is less than 3cm higher.

And no, I can't see 2.35:1 aspect screens (presumably the "cinema aspect" to which you refer, although a monitor whose aspect ratio is an approximation of pi might be worthy of geek cred) becoming mainstream. The MSOffice ribbon would take up have of the screen.

Those massive CRTs of yours probably cost more than a 27" IPS LCD does today...

7. Player_16
    Gates Halo

I'm wondering...

...how W7 will behave with its touch capabilities -using VMware or BootCamp- using the Magic Trackpad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like