back to article Apple Store shut to add updated desktops

The Apple Store is offline ahead of - it now seems reasonable to assume - new desktop Macs. Recent rumours have implied that Apple's iMac and Mac Pro lines will be refreshed in the near future. What with the Apple Store website currently presenting nothing but a "We'll be back soon" notice, and the fact that Apple UK is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bargains

Apparently, if you bought a Mac within 30 days you can return it - so there may be loads of returned iMacs available on the Apple site at a discounted price.

Of course, some people will argue that there is no such thing as a bargain when talking about an Apple product.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Natch.

"and the fact that Apple UK is briefing select journalists - not us, natch"

In their defence, they did say they were briefing 'journalists', not 'Comedy Applebashers'.

3. Wize

Do they have to take down the whole store...

...for an update to desktop machines? What about all the poor ipod/pad/phone users that want to install the angry birds?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tired question i know...

But no Blu ray right?

5. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Why does it take Apple a day to ...

update it's web site when others can do it in seconds?

6. PugRallye

Apple = special case?

Can we have a story every time Dell, HP, Sony et al update their websites for new product releases too?

Or maybe they're all capable of site updates without having to take the site down in the first place?

Or maybe they've not yet realised that taking the site down generates media coverage and therefore free PR?

Or maybe it's just that Apple is special and every time they release ANYTHING, even a product update rather than launch, it's worthy of coverage...?

7. David Gosnell
    WTF?

Why?

Excuse my ignorance, but why do Apple seem to have to shut up shop every time they so much as fix a typo? If Amazon et al worked on that basis, they'd never be open...

8. CaptainBlue
    Stop

Damned Inconsiderate

It means I can't check order status on my two Judasphones and peripherals, not price up a MiniMac and peripherals to see if it's viable.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offline?

They have to take the whole store offline, in order to update it? WTF? That's rubbish.

10. Velv
    Flame

Hype ?

There are only two reasons for the store being offline:

Apple want to generate hype around any new products; or

Apple are shit at programming and can't write decent code to save themselves - there are plenty of ways of staging upgrades that don't require the type of outage Apple insists on, inless the code is very badly written.

Now I know how bad iTunes is, and I know a lot of the linuxbois will diss Apple at the drop of a hat, but really Apple Marketing, do you NEED to take the store offline and piss off your loyal customers? Or do you do it because you *know* the fanbois will come back and buy your products anyway?

11. Player_16
    Jobs Halo

Buy on the rumour...

...sell on the news.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like