back to article AT&T delivers iPhone data choke relief

AT&T has begun rolling out a fix for the glitch choking two per cent of its wireless customers' uplink speeds. The bug-squashing is scheduled to take two to three weeks. The data-strangling gremlin resides, according to an AT&T statement of July 7, in Alcatel-Lucent equipment employed by Big Phone in its HSUPA service, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

I'd be interested to know EXACTLY how the question was phrased indicating people were "very satisfied" with AT&T's service. People I've talked to generally say *AT&T*'s service sucks, but they are overall satisfied anyway because they love the IPhone so much. Keep in mind, Verizon & Sprint, a lot of the local carriers, Cricket, and MetroPCS are CDMA, so if you want a GSM phone but not AT&T the choice is like T-Mobile or another local GSM carrier, if there are any. And T-Mobile runs 3G at 1700mhz, so the IPhone will run EDGE-only with them.

Secondly, this problem wouldn't ONLY affect the HSUPA phones. This is a shared channel, so unless the channel is pretty clear, an HSUPA uplink running less efficiently than it could be is taking away capacity that could be allocated to other users, HSUPA or not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

oh, and by the way.

In the last 2 weeks, AT&T has started disabling accounts for users (who signed up prior to their 5Gb plan) to exceed 5GB. Apparently this took me 12 days... I have until the first part of next month to decide whether I can get by with 5GB or if I need to drop my wireless internet and get DSL/Cable. This would suck because nothing impresses a client like being able to say "Let me pull into a parking lot, log on, and fix your problem....'

I was also one of the users hit with the HSUPA issue, in that after about 10Mb of download at ~2.4Mbit/sec(on a 3Mbit/sec connection), the connection would drop to about 5Kbit/sec. The only way to get it to reset was to disconnect / reconnect, and sometimes to remove / insert the card.

3. Tom 13

Of course more iPhone users are satisfied than any other provider,

that's the essence of fanboi, regardless of what flavor of fanboi you are talking about. They love the product because of who made it, not because of any objective metric.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

iPhone / AT&T

As an AT&T customer with an iPhone living in New York City I'm very able to distinguish between being extremely satisfied with the iPhone and unbelievably dissatisfied with AT&T. But the functionality of the iPhone keeps me sticking with their abysmal service constantly hoping it will get better.

I live in Manhattan with a view of the financial district from my flat. But I got better service on ski slopes in the French Alps and in Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego than I do in the US's largest and most densely populated city.

As I travel internationally AT&T and T-Mobile are my only GSM provider choices in the US and the iPhone is enough to keep me with the evil and incompetent AT&T.

Guess that makes me a fanboi.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like