back to article Apple reminds Aussies they can buy iPhone 4s on Friday

By the weekend, the iPhone Flaw - sorry, iPhone 4* - will be avilable to buy in 17 countries in addition to the five it's currently available in. On Friday, 30 July, the handset will go on sale in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

original g2 anyone

"Apple would like us to point out that all smartphones have their weak spots, for example a design that amplifies signal attenuation caused by bodily contact."

Except my original iPhone G2 that is. Not that i get why but i'd keep schtum about it if i where apple too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Credit to Apple

"Apple would like us to point out that all smartphones have their weak spots, for example a design that amplifies signal attenuation caused by bodily contact."

Look guys you've got to realise that Apple are just better at everything than everybody else. Jobs says that all smart phones are full of flaws and he must be right because he's the man. However where Apple have stolen a march on everybody else is that the iPhone Flaw's fours (or whatever) are bigger and better than all the other smartphones' flaws put together.

Come on, you've got to admit it's genius. Apple realised that everybody was going crazy for devices with flaws so they designed in flaws that would make everybody else's flaws seem insignificant by comparison and it worked. After all we all know that people don't buy smartphones to make phone calls, that's so twentieth century, so Apple have cunningly designed a UI that actually prevents you from making phone calls which is clearly what everybody needs.

I tell you, those guys are just so far ahead of their time it's unreal. Something about them is unreal anyway.

3. Annihilator
    Go

"the iPhone Flaw - sorry, iPhone 4"

ba-doom, tish

4. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

We will find out the ratio of dummies by country

One outcome of Apple selling this electronic Lemon is that we will get a determination of how many dummies actually buy this defective product having been made aware of the numerous problems.

The other hassle Apple will face is that the EU has a different take on selling duff stuff than does the U.S.A.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Keep your big plastic monstrosity, Sir.

I'm an iPhone 4 owner.

Maybe it's because i'm fortunate to live in London and not some Godforsaken ditch like the North, say, but I'm happy to report that it's by far the finest phone I've ever owned.

No dropped calls, no reception issues (and no case, thanks very much). The screen has to be seen to be believed. It's as fast as Hell, too. Amazing device.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You would say that wouldn't you...

After you paid full price for yours.

Oh and by the way the only shit hole in this country is the smoke.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

its not Grim up north

I live so far up north we practically have to import sun light.... annnnnndddd guess what? iPhone 4 works perfectly, no dropped calls at all. Ok, i only ever see 3 - 4 bars but works fine.

Maybe if they bought one and gave it a try rather their opinion would matter - but probably not

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Well, here I am in my godforsaken ditch

Which I'm quite happy with. Relatively fresh air, no charges to sit in an artificially created traffic jam, cyclists who aren't as twattish as in London- yeah, it's a dump up here. I mean fuck the North York Moors, the Peak District, the Highlands or the Lakes- what I want to see is a miserable urban wasteland stretching out as far as I can see. Even from the top of a big ferris wheel. THAT is scenery.

Nice clean water? A non-victorian sanitation system? Who needs those- want to ride a stinking underground train to work and get vomited on by some homeless guy.

Keep your wine drinking, G-wiz promoting, congested, expensive, mostly ugly shithole of a self-important Citystate, Sir- I'm a northerner (living in Scotland...) and I'm fucking proud of it.

5. Jelliphiish

interesting

to see if they have any issue with sales levels on virgin launch turf after all this internettery about the signal thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Oz Internet

I didn't think the Oz folk had the unfiltered t'internet anymore. Presumably it would be rather trivial for Apple to shove a handful of fivers into the pocket of the man in charge of the firewall and eliminate the whole problem...

Help, they're after me..

2. Doug Glass
      Go

Not Likely

Pavlov's dog salivates; fanbois buy.

6. Robert Hill
    Grenade

All they naysayers forget app lock-in...

People are not dumb, but they may be locked-in to buying an iPhone 4 if they have an old iPhone and have hundreds of dollars of iOS apps they they have already purchased. I mean, which is worse to my pocketbook - re-purchasing all of my apps on Android , or simply putting a case on the iPhone 4? Given that I have Navionics marine charting, TomTom, OmniFocus, QuickOffice, and a host of games and other utility apps on iOS, I'm thinking that a case is a whole lot cheaper than to re-buy them all.

For many sane, rational people, they will figure that an iPhone 4 and a case is a whole lot less of a problem (and less expensive!) than re-buying all their apps, converting their music and changing players, etc. It's not about the technology, it's not about how good or bad a person Steve Jobs is...it's simply what costs less and is less of a problem if you happen to already own an iPhone but need a new one.

And my guess is, a whole lot of people that fit in that category.

Let the downvoting begin...lol...

1. Ted 3

No downvoting required

I don't see why you think your post requires downvoting. You put forward a valid point and argument. You are right - rebuying apps is an expensive hassle.

Perhaps the only point of difference I would put is that as an owner of a perfectly serviceable iPhone 3GS, I will not be purchasing an iPhone 4. I will wait until they sort out all the problems before considering whehter I will upgrade to another iOS device.

1. Code Monkey

No downvote required?

But downvotes are traditional in iThing comments; no matter which side you're on or how sensible your comment.

I'm not making any claims to sensible comments, BTW, but some commentards have.

7. Stu
    Jobs Horns

Any evidence...

It would be interesting to see if theres any evidence that they've changed the hardware in any way to improve reception, etc. Apple would never admit to doing this unfortunately.

1. Robert Hill
      Grenade

Again...

Again, they CANNOT change the antenna design without getting a whole new FCC/EU and every other licensing body approval for the Radio Frequency part of the iPhone 4. Which takes, I believe, about 6 to 12 months (if the FCC applications and dates are anything to go by).

So NO - they will probably not change the design, not because they are bad, evil people, but because the FCC/EU et al, will not let them on short notice. "Simples, yes?"

* N.B. - I STILL want a meercat icon for stating the bloody obvious!!!

8. Doug Glass
    Go

Beware of ...

... stampeding Lemmings.

9. Winston Smith
    Troll

It should work just fine Down Under

Because they'll hold the phone upside down, won't they? So they only need to worry about not touching the *upper right* corner, which should be a lot easier.

10. David McMahon
    Jobs Horns

Apparently...

Some Aussies already have an iPhone four but we can't get hold of them....

11. c0rruptd
    Pint

This is going to be interesting.

Should be interesting to see about the "death grip" in Oz. If it is like some say and that the signal is only severely seen in areas of marginal reception, then we may have a slight issue, seeing as Australia is pretty much the definition of 'marginal reception'...

Guess it's only a matter of time till I find out, seeing as I have to order a few for work purposes...

Ah screw this, where's my beer?

12. A 31
    Coat

thumbs up

I've noticed that you get thumbs up if you say something against iphone or apple on these forums

if you say anything positive about it, you will get thumbs down.

However, you can also have thumbs up, if you flame someone saying positive about iphone or apple (or even london !).

I wonder if you can get htumbs up too, by dissing someone, who would know somebody's tennis partner that could possibly have something good to say about apple or the iphone and who's dog called pavlov owns an iphone with no bumper case and a flat in london...

but that would be silly :D

I need to run some trend analysis, I think half the forum users are as predictable on half of the topics, but half of apple products are not half as reliable as half of the forum comments.

Quid rides? de te fabula narratur

13. Craig 12

Strange

'Cos you still can't buy an unlocked one over here without a healthy wait...

14. Richrrrd
    Welcome

I for one........

..............am looking forward to walking down past the Apple Store on George St Sydney in a few minutes and take some pictures (with my iPhone 4) of the desperate antipodean fanbois already queuing to get their sweaty mits on one - Flaming gallahs!!!

15. Robert Forsyth

Compared to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld/8018.shtml

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like