back to article Hitachi Data Systems: A storage giant lost in translation

Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) is the only world-class Japanese storage company, with its USP-V high-end enterprise arrays and AMS mid-range systems. Its fellow Japanese corporations, Fujitsu and NEC, are under-performers in comparison. In fact, the USP-V arrays are so good that HP OEMs them and Sun did resell them. Acer OEMs a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grognard
    Heart

Let it go already!

Enigma, Eastern Mystery, Japanese Core inside Western Body...

Can't wait their next generation USP to appear!

I guess, it should be any time now?

2. James 85

Point of Order

" ... Universal Storage Platform - Virtualised (USP-V). There is only one other product like it: IBM's SAN Volume Controller (SVC)."

What about the NetApp V Series?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One reason....

Not. Enterprise. Class.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant.

Great article. I've always found the USP to be the platinum standard in high-end storage, just a fantastic piece of kit. However the software stack and documentation supplied lag behind both the Symmetrix and the SVC.

Still, expecting huge things from the next generation, hopefully I'll get a contract that allows me to get to work on one of them. And I'll also enjoy the Storage Anarchist take on it!

4. seven of five

Hitachis advantage over IBM:

Their advantage over IBM is Hitachi actually have a midrange complementing their enterprise USP-V, unlike IBM who are happy to peddle the junk LSI and NetApp feed them with.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re:

If you are going to include NetApp V Series you might as well add every Windows Storage Server under the SUN, or any file server running VxVM.

However I agree it shows El Reg's love for all things IBM as the only example they give is an IBM one, I'd have thought IBM's SVC is more akin in principle to Datacore or Falconstor or even HP's SVSP but these are out of band devices (I think) so maybe thats the categorisation they've used.

Interesting what the guy said about HP not contributing to development, in HP slide decks they claim they invented the virtualisation element (HP call it Exeternal Storage XP). I'd be interested to hear if the guy quoted works for HDS or Hitachi SSG.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

new product

The new product is looking very interesting from what I've been told (under NDA natch). I'd be interested to know whether the reseller agreement with HP/Hitachi covers the new technology or just the run out of USP-V. I'm guessing the former, but you never know....

7. Grognard
    Thumb Up

Re: new product

I wait HDS to catch up EMC!!! They say they will have similar features. I wait this since new Symmextrix announce. More than 1.5 years have passed. Beware EMC! HDS returns to get its share back!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like