back to article Samsung UE46C8000 3D TV

Samsung got the 3D ball rolling earlier this year when its C7000 became the first 3D TV to hit the shops in the UK. However, the more expensive C8000 is the one that really turned my head. Even if you dismiss the 3D option as a novelty the C8000 is simply a superb flat-screen TV. Samsung UE46C8000 Samsung's UE46C8000: a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Whitter
    Megaphone

I wonder if they've worked on the remote..?

I have a relatively recent Samsung TV and the remote control is a shambles: but I guess you've already bought it before you find that out. It is so bad that I'd actively avoid them as a brand unless you have a Sky or Virgin box that has its own EPG system.

2. Mike Brown
    Badgers

LED=SCAM

damn the tv makers and there marketing nonsence. LED tv's arnt LED tvs at all. They have LED backlighting, but still use LCD.....

Take a look at the non LED verison of this telly. the c750. half the price, and just as good. it may not be as thin, but it certainly left my wallet fatter....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

edge vs array

+1

The only REAL benefit is if the set is backlit and allows local dimming (which this one isn't)

2. Laurence Blunt
      Thumb Down

Your only half right, and therefore also half wrong...

There are a lot of TV's being advertised as LED which are LCD with LED back-lights. The effect is much better than the old back lights and give much better contrast and blacks.

There are also OLED screens that are made from real RGB LED's on the glass. Unfortunately the ones I saw last year were quite simply - crap. There seemed to only be about 32 (maybe 64) shades for each colour as the intensity can only be altered by the switching frequence.

This has also been used for dodgy adverts claiming 600Mhz refresh, which is rather pointless for a image that only updates 50 or 60 times a second.

The overal effect was like looking at a some badly compressed images with a 256 colour pallet, or like viewing images on a 20year old PC.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cable tidies

It'd be nice if the manufacturers of TVs remembered we all have to put cables into the things and fitted them with some form of cable tidy - if not to neaten the back, to reduce the strain of heavy cables pulling on fragile sockets.

Oh and this set in particular - a start-up noise? Dear god why?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

All Samsung tellies have that stupid startup noise

You can thankfully turn it off.

If it was a relay click it would be great - but no, it's an irritating chord.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

actually

the startup noise is quite useful, my dad has one on his, as he can't tell if he's switched it on without it. Otherwise, with the few seconds it takes to start, he presses power again and switches it back off.

As you say, some sort of click would be nicer than the silly tone though.

4. Mark Jan
    Stop

Re: LED=SCAM

@ Mike Brown

Whilst I would agree that TV manufacturers have been / are guilty of milking the various TV format / display technologies over the past few years, it's a step too far to call LED backlighting technology a scam.

Whilst it is true to say that, "LED tv's arnt [sic] LED tvs at all. They have LED backlighting, but still use LCD....." the ASA has said that it does not object to the use of the term (LED TV) but does require it to be clarified in any advertising.

Whilst the panel in this Samsung may not be a hypothetical true LED display, or an OLED display, no one is saying this.

In terms of the technology itself and depending on the type of LED used, this method of backlighting does offer considerable benefits, eg a wider colour gamut, higher dynamic contrast ratios, higher brightness, etc over traditional CCFL backlit TVs.

Since the the main barrier to the wide use of LED backlighting on LCD televisions is cost, your C750 TV may well have been "half the price" and "left your wallet fatter" but to claim it is "just as good" is cleary wishful thinking!

1. Mike Brown
      Go

Scam?

Just because the ASA say its ok dosnt mean its not a scam. Look at ofcom and "unlimited" broadband, and tell me thats not a scam, and very similar to this situation.

And yes, i stand by my claim that my c750 is just as good as this TV, you can believe its "wishful thinking" if you choose.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

iPlayer widget

I bought one of these before the World Cup. Outstanding quality picture but does need a proper sound system attached.

The iPlayer widget is now available since the release of the latest firmware in the past week. The widget is really easy to navigate and use but I've been disappointed with the amount of content available through it. You only get access to a subset of iPlayer programs you get on other platforms.

Not sure why this is - maybe licencing but after such a long wait for this to be available (it was announced in Jan!) this is sure to be something other users will complain about.

6. Albert

Wake me up in 2 years when I consider buying my next TV

I bought an HD TV 18 months ago, so not in the market for a new TV for at least another 2 years.

I enjoy 3D in the cinema but not bothered about it at home.

I also expect by the time I get around to 3D at home that it will just be built in rather than a premium offering so prices should be more acceptable.

7. Mark Jan
    Stop

Scam?

@ Mike Brown

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Ofcom and the ASA regarding "unlimited" broadband and your claim the situation there is similar to LED TV backlighting in being, "a scam".

This is what I found: "The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is currently undertaking a review of the way broadband speeds are advertised, and Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards has called for stricter rules." (27/07/10)

So, not much of a scam there apart from the broadband providers marketing depts trying to get away with as much as they can.

Beauty as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, so if your TV is as good as you say, I'm sure you're also right in that regard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like