back to article DMA sets rules on kids' data and 'greenwashing'

Companies engaged in direct marketing to consumers must not use the internet to gather data about children under 12 and must be able to back up any green claims they make, according to a new code of practice for the industry. The Direct Marketing Association has published a new version of its Code of Practice, the set of rules …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<title>

"... and must be able to back up any green claims they make."

That should put an end to most of these adverts then. Like the one from someone or other that buys your unwanted CDs & DVDs. "It's better for the environment" they claim. Landfills must be absolutely packed with discarded music CDs.

Yeah, right...

2. BlueGreen

greenwashing

tightening this up is good news. Too many vans/taxis round london advertising they're green or carbon neutral, which is is total cobblers, time for me to put some pressure on now there are clearer guidelines...

Should be fun.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And...

Think of how much junk mail a house gets and how much goes in the recycling bucket (or even, horror of horror, the landfill bin). Yes, it's green to recycle, but it's a metric sh1t-load greener to never create the junk in the first place.

I for one would like to see the DMA live up to their green promises, ban all direct mail and then throw themselves in a composting shredder in an effort to make up the damage they've already done.

4. Matt 21

Speaking of Green

If the DMA prevented people from shoving unsolicited ads through my letter box that'd make a huge difference to CO2 emissions (if you believe in that kind of thing). Of course the reality is they're only interested in selling stuff so they only need to appear to be in-line with whatever they perceive to be the latest buzz words in the public mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.