back to article Microsoft opens Xbox 360 Arcade

Microsoft has taken the wraps off its latest and cheapest Xbox 360 console, dubbed the Arcade. The model replaces the Core edition, and is set to hit UK shops this week. Arcade_Xbox MS' Xbox 360 Arcade: driveless The Arcade has an HDMI port and ships with one wireless controller and a 256MB memory card. It also comes with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Irwin
    Thumb Down

Huh?

It only costs £140 in the USA, but will cost £200 in the UK/Europe. Bloody cheek.

2. Rich Silver badge

Mmmmm.......

US price = $280

UK price = £200 ($390)

Errr... yep - sounds fair to me! :-)

3. Stig

$1 per £1

$280 or £200?

At least the UK price is marginally better than the $=£ pricing of recent years.

4. Peter Gibbins
    Boffin

Falcon or not?

Does anybody know if this new unit contains the 'Falcon' chipset as seen inside the 360 Halo special edition version?

(Falcon is the 65nm CPU and supposedly runs cooler / quieter).

5. sd99

Tax!

US price excludes tax, the UK price includes it. If you add UK VAT, the prices are:

US £165

UK £200

6. John Dow

Well, duh!

Of course the best way to work out a price is to simply apply the exchange rate. Because all national economies are exactly the same; people are paid the same, the cost of living is the same and any differences you may notice are purely down to your own overactive imaginations.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quit complaining

You do realize that $1 has the same spending power in the US as £1 does in the UK. Your £50,000 job would only be making $50,000 in the US.

8. Sampler

Import?

Or is that illegal now too...

9. Brian

TV shows?

Where would core users put the TV shows mentioned? This unit doesn't come with a hard drive!

10. Richard Kilpatrick

*Yawn*

Repeat after me and everyone else commenting no doubt:

US prices exclude sales taxes

US prices usually include a 90-day, not 1 year, warranty (how this applies to the 360 post "ring of death" I'm unsure of, as I thought they had a 3 year warranty for that issue alone).

Actual comparison?

£164.50.

So £35 more for possibly an implied warranty extension, and variations in local costs. And of course room for reseller discounts where applicable.

What I find more intriguing is the price <i>increase</i>. The Core was pitched directly against the Wii at £179 following recent price drops; the Arcade merely matches the Wii's inclusion of a Wireless controller and some memory for downloaded games/content (Wii has 512MB built in IIRC, still not enough for the vast range of titles available which cannot be played from SD card).

Now the Xbox is at the (presumably) £199 point and no longer competes directly. Seems like a needless stage in the reshuffle, I think think they need to align thus:

Good: 360 with 20GB HD and Wired controller - £179

Better: 360 with 120GB HD and Wireless controller - £279

Best: 360 with 120GB HD, HD-DVD internal driver, and Wireless controller - £329 (or £349 with bundled WiFi adaptor, hitting the PS3 square in the crossover HD-media player and console market position).

I think the HD is vital for pushing their Live! service and purchased downloadable content.

11. Matt Milford

Memory?

256 meg memory card... and cartoon downloads from xbox live...

Assuming that it has no hard disk like the core... where are these downloads going?

12. David Hearn

Don't forget Customs duty and VAT on that

So, $280 plus postage to the UK - make that $320. Convert that to £, that's approx £160. Add 2.2% import duty (that's the rate for games consoles), that's now £163.52. Add 17.5% VAT on, now it's up to £192.14. Finally, add £10-£20 customs fee from the courier - and you're over the £200 list price.

So, actually, it's not that much of a difference in costs.

13. ScottK
    Unhappy

Tax

Presumably the 200 quid is inclusive of VAT, whereas the US price is exclusive of sales tax which varies by state and gets added at point of purchase.

This still makes the ex VAT price 170 quid though, so we are still get stiffed in ripoff Britain, especially as the strong £ to $ should make US imports cheaper.

14. James Dennis
    Alert

VAT

When doing the comparison remember that US prices have up to 8% sales tax added on at the point of sale. It's still not equivalent but lets be fair.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Mark W
    Coat

Economies of Scale

You all seem to forget we live on a little island here in the UK, and the USA is a rather large continent with just a few more people over there than here, and the box they ship in the UK is slightly different (PAL, Region 2 and 240V) and thus although comes off the same production line, has different costs associated with it, which they pass onto us, the punters.

I agree it sucks - but the cost of consoles is small fry. Don't get me started on the cost of Cars in the UK vs USA.... (Care to compare the cost of a Chrysler 300C in the UK vs the USA...)

17. Ian

@Peter Gibbins

In answer to your question, yes, it's using both the 65nm main CPU AND the 65nm version of the GPU.

All HDMI enabled 360s have at minimum the 65nm main CPU, all the newer ones have the 65nm GPU as well.

18. CD
    Unhappy

up to 8%?

Chicago sales tax is 9.75%. They're trying right now to raise it.

19. kain preacher

Chicago sales tax is 9.75%

?? do you have state sales taxes as well and then county sales tax ??

20. Simon

@Ian

There is no 65nm GPU for the XBOX 360 yet.

All HDMI XBOX 360s are either 'Zephyr' motherboard (as first seen in the Elite) with 90nm CPU and GPU, or the 'Falcon' motherboard (with 65nm CPU and 90nm GPU, as seen in newer Elites and Premium/Pros, and most probably in the new Arcade).

The 65nm GPU boards ('Jasper') are not due out until August 2008:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/11/ms_readies_jasper_xbox/

21. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Spending power

"You do realize that $1 has the same spending power in the US as £1 does in the UK. Your £50,000 job would only be making $50,000 in the US."

And why is that? One of the big reasons is the UK has a law preventing parallel importing (part of the copyright act), so companies can't import the US version of a product and neutralize the price difference like they use to be able to in the '80s.

Another part of Tony's legacy. An anti-free-trade abomination.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like