back to article Home Office mobe theft fight doubles in importance

The Home Office has published guidelines asking recyclers to check if phones are stolen, claiming that the business is worth £5m a year despite it being only worth £2.5m eight weeks ago. When the then-Labour government started on the guidelines telling companies to continue doing what most of them were doing already, we were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

you kill me ....

....but it's going to be down to the general public to stop selling old handsets to companies that refuse to stump up for the scheme...

1. Just Thinking

It would make sense

Not that I expect it to happen.

The reason most people get rid a working phone is to buy a better, more desirable model. Presumably they don't want to have that phone stolen, and potentially suffer a violent assault in the process?

So it would kind of make sense to avoid actively supporting any company which is quite happy to buy stolen phones.

2. LinkOfHyrule
    Coffee/keyboard

and if current trends continue...

"and if current trends continue it could be worth twice that by the end of this article."

haha!

3. Colin Miller
    Headmaster

how many are sold to recyclers?

Quoth the article

.. that 100,000 phones were being stolen and sold to the recyclers every year, ... with an average value of £50 per handset.

Quote Endth

Is that 100,000 stolen phones per year being sold to the recyclers, or 100,000 phones stolen each year SOME of which are being sold to the recyclers?

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Like ID cards?

"That fee is in addition to the £750 annual charge recycling companies will have to pay to sign up to the voluntary code (for a minimum of three years)."

So it's like ID cards then. They are "voluntary", but you have to sign up. Also once you do, no backing out...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still use my old phones

What place'll stump fifty quid for a dead phone? Seriously?

Thought the most you'll get from a recycler is more in the fiver range. Nothing unusual about "someone with interest" to invent "damage" worth a bundle when the reality is far less rosy. But hey if they'd be honest they'd have to chop a digit off the price of admission to the goody two mobes club. I still think inflation is unwise in the long run, but hey, nobody said membership of the holier-than-thou brigade means you had to be smart. Anyway, I have a couple fully legit but unfortunately unfit for purpose handsets that I'll gladly part with for fifty. Any takers?

6. James Pickett

Depreciation

£50 per handset? That's what I paid for mine, new!

7. Anonymous John

"the jump is down to all those stolen iPhones"

Wouldn't they reduce the figure? iPhone 3s that the fanbois don't want any more, and iPhone4s that have to be gripped in a special way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like