back to article VMware removes bare-metal virt from View

If you've been wondering why the bare-metal client hypervisor that was expected with VMware virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) software, View 4.5 has been delayed, wonder no more: it has been dumped. View 4.5 had been originally expected in mid-July, and VMware had even started briefing some analysts and reporters back at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lusty

the logical conclusion is

When you think about it, all of the arguments in the article seem to point to locally installed Windows, managed with SCCM, SCOM, and using Direct Access for connectivity to the office.

If users want personal stuff on the machine then dual boot can be used to provide two perfectly secure OS partitions which run at "baremetal" speed.

P.S. desktop PCs should never be referred to as "Iron" - even Wintel servers are "Tin"

2. Richard Stubbs
    FAIL

Backward step!

I guess they are striving for is PCoIP and centrally managed desktops and keep it with the thin camps like Wyse, but to have both make so much more senses then push out a single gold image accessible via PCoIP on thin clients and as baremetal images to laptops and heavy intensive desktop users. Have the tech embedded in laptops and have a hot key to cycle between booted VM's need a laptop upgrade simple move the hardware independent vm's images over to the new system! up and working in minutes!

3. robin penny

So I will have to buy a server.... 8-(

I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I have been waiting for this for years. It looks like my only option is to buy server hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like