back to article iPhone thief nabbed by GPS, cops say

iPhone thieves take note: Next time you strike, make sure the coveted device you pilfer isn't equipped with GPS software. That's what 31-year-old Horatio Toure allegedly did on Monday, leading to his arrest just 10 minutes later, according to The San Francisco Chronicle. He was booked on suspicion of grand theft and possession …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

“This reminds me of the bank robber who arrives during the security test”

This reminds me of the hired actor as a bank robber who arrives during the security test, to create free publicity for the security company

2. JaitcH
    Alert

If you're going to steal a phone ...

wrap the damn thing in alumin(i)um foil.

Gizmodo might have discovered much more by doing likewise with the 'bar' phone.

1. DavCrav

Or...

...just hold it in one of the corners.

(Yes, I know I won't be the only one who said this, and I don't care.)

2. David Barrett

or...

just hold it in your left hand?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh come on

Bit *convenient* to happen during a demo, no?

Let's see the police report.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

You mean it...

managed to keep a signal for 10 minutes?

5. Gordon 10
    Jobs Halo

Mobileme

Especially since MobileME already has this function

6. paulf
    Coat

Good job they nabbed him quick

Running the GPS constantly like that would have thrashed the battery sharpish so good job they found the "thief" within 10 minutes.

Mines the one with they 222WHr Hypermac in the pocket - it might be heavy.

7. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

iMugged

theres an app for that

mines the coat that doesn have an iphone in

8. Adam Foxton
    Stop

I did that months ago

Actually, about a month. My Hero got nicked at Download, so the next morning I trotted off to the Police hut and used Google Latitude to find out where my phone was. Turned out it was already in the middle of Derby.

20 minutes later, nothing had happened as- apparently- they'd pretty much need to catch the guy making a call where he says "yeah, so I just nicked this phone" before they'd be able to check. Add into that that it'd have been an inter-forces operation and they said there wasn't much of a chance of getting it back. Despite telling them that 1 minute ago he was within 5 meters of an address and that if need be I could update them over the phone as updates came into me.

So (a) Once again the iPhone's years behind everyone else (I did this before a few years ago with a different bit of software on an XDA Orbit) but takes the credit, and (b) The police aren't always that useful. Friendly, though- and amazed that you can do this with a phone! Probably could have helped a bit more if their laptop Internet was working and I hadn't had to call a friend and have him describe the location over the phone...

9. Linker3000
    Coat

Darn

The thief might have got away with it if he snatched the phone with his left hand.

He's obviously not sinister enough.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I write GPS Tracking Software

As per the title, I write tracking software for mobiles which are used in Taxis and Private Hire vehicles.

You'd be amazed how difficult it is to actually get a police officer to attend even though you can tell them where the thief is, and where the stolen property is.

It's usually at the point when you say you'll go and recover it yourself with a few friends and they may want to be there for the thief's protection that they decide it's worth turning up for!!!!

11. Martyn 4
    Black Helicopters

gps

it can work both ways. it can help you find somewhere or something or it can help someone/something find you.

black helicopter? yep. to find you

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android

I can use Latitude to find my Android phone (which isnt in real time) or I can use the F-secure App to text a unique code to my phone and it will use the GPS to pinpoint its exact location.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. K_Smith
    Coat

Wavesecure

Works for me and works on more than just a iPhone

Mines the coat with the traceable phone

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It wasn't an iPhone 4 then

....it had a signal!

16. BeefStirFry
    Stop

Apple Store didn't do it...

Couple of weeks ago, 15-20 kids wearing hoodies and scarveswalked into the Apple Store in Solihull and walked out with 7 iPhone 4's and an iPad... Of all the places to have had GPS tracking installed on your devices you'd have thought it'd have been there...

17. The old man from scene 24

Mind the gap

So, two conducting strips with a small gap? I reckon there's a gap in the iPhone portfolio - remotely activated high voltage generator. Call it iTaser.

18. Brass

Another urban myth?

Has this story been verified as true?

This topic is closed for new posts.