back to article Buffalo USB 3.0 PCI Express card

In an age where the latest SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interface has yet to be officially supported by Intel, storage vendors in particular, are keen to build the best add-on PCI Express adapter card to take advantage of this fast connectivity. Buffalo USB 3.0 Card SuperSpeed upgrade, anyone? Buffalo Tech's IFC-PCIE2U3 Currently, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Johnston

SATA

"Buffalo actually supplies an adapter to plug into a SATA power cable"

Looks more like a fdd power connection to me ;-)

2. Stuart Halliday
    Flame

Turn up the Power

I'm more worried about this disturbing trend to offer 2 or 3 times the power output on USB3 ports.

The pins on USB3 are the same size as USB2 and that offers 0.5A .

Now USB3 is suppose to offer 0.9A. But with cards and Mobos (see Gigabyte) offering 3 times that, how on earth is 2.7A (13.5W!) going to flow through that same pin? It beggars belief!

Expect USB3 to develop a reputation of smoke, fire and melted plastic.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Turn up the Power

USB 3.0 contains a set of USB 2.0 pins, but these run at the standard USB 2.0 specs because they're a standalone USB 2.0 bus that runs alongside the separate USB 3.0 connections.

http://www.reghardware.com/2009/05/25/superspeed_usb_3_guide/

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Phil Rigby
    Paris Hilton

Question, + @Paul

@Paul - I saw that too, I'd bet there's a connector in the packaging to connect the FDD to a SATA... maybe...

Does anyone know how well these cards work under Linux?

5. Martin Huizing

Compaq...

...as I remember correctly, carried the first usb ports on their system boards. They, of course, didn't work because Windows 95 didn't have proper drivers yet. There was a patch which allowed a few USB devices to be recognized. Then came USB 1.0 and Windows 95 sr2. Software for USB devices (mostly Logitech webcams) became widely accessible. Software faltered and devices crashed numerously. Compatibility? Humbug!

USB 1.1 was more stable and hardware manufacturers used this standard to build their USB chipsets. External hard drives caddies were adapted to the plug and play hierarchy. In came the USB flash-drives (then called thumb-drives. Whatever happened to the name?)

512Kb, 1Mb, 2Mb, 4Mb, 8Mb, 16Mb, 32Mb etc.... etc...

Back then it was compatibility. Now it is speed. Me?

I care about data. I don't care at what speed it is transferred. As long as I can use it when I want to.

Video, audio or data, I want it to be Plug and Play. I struggled with drivers, compatibility and, heck, even not knowing if my data was still secure after plugging my USB device in an open slot of an unsavory machine , but I want to leave that behind me.

I'd better stop worrying now and look at Cloud. Nice expression to be used here is; silver lining.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like