back to article Toshiba Australia boss waves tablet around

And now Toshiba's in on the act. Yes, the Japanese laptop pioneer has an iPad-style tablet in the works, set to debut in a few months' time and running Android and/or Windows 7. Toshiba this week took the wraps off its new Portégé R700 skinny laptop, its Libretto M100 dual-screen netbook and the AC100 Arm-based 'smartbook' in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Designed by...

Directly ripping off the iPad - nice one, and well done.

How many people thought at first glance he was holding an iPad?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Designed by...

Not me, it it was an Apple product he wouldn't be holding it by the bottom corner ;)

2. RegReaderrr

AlwaysInnovating

The iPad seems like a crude rip-off of a tablet made by alwaysinnovating. It went on sale a year ago, full 8 months before Apple's iPad. see it at alawaysinnovating dot com, a nice detachable keyboard is also available. Cheaper too.

1. Doug Reed
        FAIL

Always not innovating

I ordered one, I was told two months wait but then they suspended production until summer stating that they were going to announce their craziest innovation. I shudder to think what it may be

2. Doug Reed
    Jobs Halo

Yet another imitation

Yet another balsa wood/tarted up phone frame that will most likely not appear until next year.

I still don't want to buy a Jobsian fondle slab but it would be nice if some of these companies would start delivering the goods rather than just waving them around and hoping to jump on the bandwagon.

I am rather hoping that the Notion Ink Adam will arrive soon and will deliver but I may in the end succomb to buying a Chinese clone

1. Daniel 1

They will deliver the real thing....

Just as soon as Barry Lam has finished prototyping it for them and come up with a range of ever-so-slightly different cases for them all to go into. It's been a long time since any of these people made their own kit. Some folks call this "Convergence" but I call it "Selling the same kit, made by the same company, in the same factory, with different stickers on it".

"Convergence" is shorter, but less honest.

(Oh, and bear in mind that all "Jobsian fondle slabs" come out of a factory with the name "Foxconn" written on the outside of it...)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'd get one

to replace my Windows-7 netbook. I need the full OS to run a number of Windows-only applications. As long the touch interface works properly of course.

4. Jamie Kitson

Correction

You got one of your "W100"s upside down.

5. Steve Roper

Looks good, and it's here in Aus

I most definitely am looking to buy an iPad-style mobile computing device (with Windows 7, not Android), and I would like to do so this year. Sep-Oct release, if they stick to it, sounds quite good. And it'll be purchasable in my own country. I will be watching this with interest.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like