back to article Raumfeld multi-room wireless music system

If you want a wireless music system with a trick remote control you have two options: spend a lot of cash and get a Sonos set up, or spend a lot less and get a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. Both rigs require your music library to be housed on an PC or Nas drive, and with the Logitech you also need some hi-fi kit to hand. Raumfeld …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may be Wi Fi but I bet it is not Hi Fi.

That is all.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Yeah

I think you can build 2 decent budget HiFi separates systems for this kind of money - I'm absolutely convinced even a budget set of separates will sound much better that this thing.

And I had a bit of a scare when I at first misread the name of the system as Rumsfeld...

2. smudge
    FAIL

166GB hard drive :-(

Far too small if you have a decent-size collection, unless you compress everything until it's unlistenable.

How much extra would a 500GB drive have cost?

3. Elmer Phud

Only one knob

The less controls there are the more I like it.

Most people have it all set flat (or off) , anyway.

One big, fat knob - just the way I like it.

4. Chris Miller
    Paris Hilton

"separate from any WLAN you may already have in place"

How does that work in a (city) area where you may already have trouble finding free channels? I wouldn't want to fork out for this and find my home network grinds to a halt.

Paris would know ... (we need an 'I'm confused' icon)

5. SSR
    Jobs Halo

The Much Forgotten Apple Option

Or if you have have an iPhone/iPod Touch, the even cheaper option is the Apple Airport Express and/or Apple TV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Ooh, ooh, I know this!

Is that the one that works not quite as well as this but fades out when you stand near the speakers?

6. Nadjau
    FAIL

Or ...

Or use an Airport Express and the Remote app on an iPod Touch. Far cheaper and just as effective.

7. Martin
    Thumb Down

Who buys this?

The sort of person who wants one of these will already have a hi-fi system and/or a computer with his music stored on it. So why would you spend another £1200 on another one?

Silly money for what it is.

8. xj25vm

Alternatives

Or, you can use PulseAudio. True, it might not look as good as the reviewed kit - but with a wifi router, and small computer being the server, a pair of active speakers of your choice, and a laptop of any kind serving as the controller - both the server and the controller running Linux, of course - you have a full equivalent setup. The system can look as good as you want it to look if you buy really nice speakers - the rest being pretty much hidden from view.

One or two advantages that I can spot is that you can have multiple 'controller' laptops connected to the same server, and the other one being that pretty much anything you play from the laptop - including BBC iPlayer, movies, YouTube - can go through the wireless sound system.

But yes, I'll be the first to admit it that it takes much more effort to setup then the reviewed system.

1. Alastair 7

Not just more effort...

"The system can look as good as you want it to look"

" and a laptop of any kind serving as the controller"

Number 1 is ruled out by number 2. A laptop is not a suitable remote. Perhaps when some cheap, small tablets come out that might be a feasible idea, but even then the UI will be terrible.

9. muttley
    Happy

Foobar 2000 => Airfoil => Airport Extreme =>

WiFi network => Airport Express => spdif => DAC of one's choice.

Control it either via VNC on your "lounge laptop" or via foo_httpcontrol foobar plugin/smartphone browser.

Streamed lossless over the network too.

10. Justabloke 1
    FAIL

Title

Yor 'aving a larf, mate!

I have a PC with my media on it, I use a dlink media louge streamer that is hooked up to my TV, my surround sound system AND my hi-fi.

I can use wireless or wired

Video / Movies / images (HD as well!) to my tv and surround sound.

Music to both lounge and dining room via my hi - fi system (or I can switch a single room off)

Total cost? about £100.

Yeah, sign me up for one of these babies!

11. miknik

Squeezebox all the way

I bought a squeezebox boom for bedroom and kitchen and a squeezbox receiver for hifi in front room. Works great, good sound, android app to control it all and about £500 total for 3 room set up. Raumfeld speakers do look good, bit pricy tho.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cost?

Top end audio kit has always cost a lot be it conventional hi-fi separates of techie stuff like Sonos. If you want it, you pay, if not you go for one of the myriad of cheaper options. I have German friends who own a Raumfeld (the system has been on sale in Germany since late last year). They bought it as a house warming present for themselves and are very happy with it. It's got their music library off the family laptop and replaced their old stereo & TV 2.1 system, lets them run music in three rooms - or in the garden, all you need is an extension cable - and control the whole thing from the remote. The convenience of being able to relocate the wireless speakers in seconds should not be overlooked. I was impressed with the sound too, especially from the larger speakers. Expensive? Yes. Do I want one? Yes.

13. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

A joke?

Please, tell me the price was a joke!

£1,200 for that? It's not as if they spent a lot on styling or the speakers.

14. JDX Gold badge
    Happy

If I were a rich man...

I would certainly value ease-of-use over saving money and dicking about with setting up my own system which ends up with me having to use my laptop to control it.

In my eyes the ideal setup is speakers in each room and something like an iPad on the wall next to (or replacing) your light switches, with a central server hidden some place (or each pad clones data).

Does this already exist - using standard standalone speakers with a bluetooth/wifi connection and an iPhone app?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like