back to article Vatican Google-bombed over weekend

The Vatican was Google-bombed over the weekend, with searches for the Holy See directing unwitting punters to a mysterious site called www.pedofilo.com. The site takes its name from the Italian word for paedophile, and appeared to be unavailable from the UK today. However, Italian reports suggest it was based in Mexico, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Green

Bombing

"However, it seemed pretty clear to the rest of the world that this was a case of Google-bombing, something the search giant was supposed to have weeded out ages ago."

Something they weeded out? I just tried a few well known ones and "french military victories" still works, guess they need to weed a little harder

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

Google: hello

Vatican: yes, hi. The top search result for the Holy See a site called pedofilo.com

Goolge: hahahahah

Vatican: wha?

Google: ahahahaha *click*

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

If the Mitre fits....

Just saying....

4. C Yates
    Thumb Up

"it promptly got in touch with Google"

*snigger*

5. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

"appeared to be unavailable from the UK today."

Which is a good thing because if Jim Gamble has anything to say about it, you should be arrested for simply *looking* at that site because it *might* hold CP and that is proof enough of guilt for him...

6. Woodgar

Nothing to do with Google

It's just God moving in those mysterious ways for which he is known and loved.

7. Robert Moore
    Flame

As a recovering Catholic

all I can say is Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well deserved.

Flames for obvious reasons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in other news...

...the Vatican has announced that anyone found ordaining women as priests will be moved to a different diocese and the whole thing hushed up.

9. John Sanders
    Grenade

I'm still awaiting...

For an anti-Muslim Google bombing...

oh my god, what did I just said?

1. prathlev
      Headmaster

@John Sanders

You said "I'm still awaiting for an anti-Muslim Google bombing".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Minor correction

The domain name is registered with some mexican outfit, but the IP the www label resolves to is from a block of theplanet's in texas. I can see there's an apache with php5 involved but actual content doesn't seem to be available -- a long delay nets me headers and a zero-sized response.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all ok...

Just as long as they don't start ordaining women. That would be serious. It seems.

12. LaeMing
    Go

Bombing or working as designed?

Could just be that Google's magic algorithms have noticed that people are searching for the two terms together rather a lot lately and has promoted certain sites accordingly.

13. Velv
    Coat

Wouldn't have been a problem if ...

they'd had GodBlock installed :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/godblock/

This topic is closed for new posts.