back to article FBI hunt gun-waving, skateboarding bank robber

The FBI in San Diego are hunting a low-tech bank robber who shunned the usual getaway car and fled from his latest heist on a skateboard. The bandana'd bandit was armed with a black semi-automatic pistol when he held up the Comercia Bank in San Diego on Monday. He apparently lifted his shirt, showing off his weapon, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Joke

Hah

Great article, shame the bicycle police weren't on the ball enough for an impromptu street sports style chase scene there the city skate parks.

2. LuMan
    Happy

Hmm..

Looks like a normal double-ender to me (fnaar). Although, back in the early nineties my mate got a bizarre fish-tailed deck that had a sort of double-kick at the rear. Back then, of course there were different boards for different disciplines; ramp, street, freestyle....

<drifts off into halcyon daze...>

3. Einstein's Smarter Brother

How many pixels?

Why are those CCTV pictures so awful? Don't they have resolution greater than 10 * 10 pixels?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or postcards.

Playmobile or it didn't happen

5. Yorkshirepudding
    Badgers

Skate or Die

come on someone remembers this!

6. James Pickett
    Coat

Lethal

"He apparently lifted his shirt, showing off his weapon.."

I thought they said he had a pistol..?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone thought to ask Johnny Cash?

Oh...

8. Fred Mbogo
    Heart

@Yorkshirepudding

Skate or Die, DIEDIEDIE DIEEEE!

So you wanna get serious now? -Lester

9. Jamie Kitson

ZZ Top

Guess their records aren't doing so well at the moment.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talk normal

What is meant by "green paisley colored bandana"?

1. Citizen Kaned
      FAIL

he means...

green colored paisley bandana

but normal people would have understood that anyway

1. Charley 1

That anything like

a paisley bandanna that's coloured green?

2. tony trolle
      Pint

"Talk normal" sounds normal to me

multi-toned green paisley and not a green and red paisley

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Segway?

Was there a low-speed police pursuit by a dozen officers on Segways?

It couldn't have been on foot. These are American cops.

12. David Eddleman

Open Carry

He's lucky no open carriers were in the bank at the time. Otherwise they'd be bagging and tagging him.

1. Rogerborg

It's always about the bagging, isn't it?

"He's lucky no open carriers were in the bank at the time. Otherwise they'd be bagging and tagging him."

Yes, because putting a bunch of panicked, untrained, armed strangers in a confined space and having them all start whipping their Glocks out and blazing away at anything that they perceive as a threat - the Bandana Bandit, each other, the other customers or staff, guide dogs, pot plants, furniture... - often ends well.

2. Nexox Enigma

It wasn't Texas

"""He's lucky no open carriers were in the bank at the time."""

In Southern California, nobody that but cops, renta-cops, and mall security carry in the open. It's not exactly Texas.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a few people carried concealed, but so far as I can tell, it's pretty uncommon for non-criminal types in that area.

1. Wallyb132
        FAIL

@Nexox Enigma RE:It wasn't Texas

"In Southern California, nobody that but cops, renta-cops, and mall security carry in the open. It's not exactly Texas."

Wow you really know fuck all about gun laws in both California and Texas.

I think you may have been confusing Texas with Arizona, the state i call home. Now had this occurred in Arizona, the last "wild west" state, there's a very real chance that many bank patrons would've been packin', because in this state we're allowed to carry open or concealed without a permit.

Arizona is only the third state in modern U.S. history (after Vermont and Alaska) to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit, and it is the first state with a large urban population to do so,

California: Open carry of loaded firearms in public is generally prohibited - Carrying of an unloaded, unconcealed firearm in plain sight is not prohibited

Texas: Open carry of a handgun is prohibited with some exceptions - Concealed carry of a handgun requires a "shall-issue" permit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Arizona

13. Natty
    Coat

I'll get my coat

Flip is the name of a skateboard company. I suspect that is what the shunned teller saw!

Regards

Natty - 31 year old skateboarder!

14. Psmiffy

Unfortunately

He could not find a "Dark coloured bandana" ... it will probably be his undoing.

15. Steve Evans
    Joke

Ah...

Bart Simpson finally comes of age...

16. Lord Lien
    Thumb Up

@ Yorkshirepudding

What a game :) The best skate game ever was 720 Degrees on the 128k Speccy. Now that game kicked arse.

17. kain preacher

am I the only one ??

I'm thinking the cops should of waited until he was at full speed on the skate board, then whack him in the chest with a knight stick.

18. NBCanuck
    WTF?

"knight stick"?

I suppose that works, after all it was day time and as far as I know they don't issue "day sticks". Besides, upholding the laws of the land was one of the duties held by knights. Being chased by cops would put some fear into the guy, but having a knight on horseback chasing you with a lance pointing at your tail-end? That would be a little scarier fear....well, that or cause the guy to fall down laughing.

This topic is closed for new posts.