back to article Opera Mini de-betas on Android

Opera has taken the beta tag off the Android incarnation of its low-bandwidth mobile browser, offering an Opera Mini 5.1 that includes a few small improvements over the 5.0 beta. Yes, they've jumped straight from a 5.0 beta to 5.1 This brings the Android version in line with last week's update for various other platforms. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Very good it is too.

It's now my default browser. It's WAY better than the default webkit crap.

2. Tommy Pock

Already on it.

Opera Mini's always the first thing I download to a new phone (I don't work for them, it just is).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not used it yet

I can see the point for big websites when I've got a poor connection speed, but most websites I look at have a mobile edition, and the rendering's fast enough on a desire to make webkit work just fine for the others as long as you've got wifi. I'm sure it will come in useful at some point though

1. Obvious Robert

Custom searches

It's VERY handy for setting up custom searches - almost any website with a search box can be added as a custom search to Opera Mini, meaning when I'm out and about and get the urge to impulse buy a DVD, game or whatever I can very quickly get to IMDb results, reviews, prices etc.

Yes, I know I can use ShopSavvy et al, but tbh I feel like a tit standing in the supermarket scanning barcodes with my phone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Great...

Now can we PLEASE get Opera Mobile?

5. Merchman

Zoom

It would be nice to have a zoom in/zoom out function, it would probably then become my default browser. At the moment I am stuck between scrolling all over the place to find what I want (especially with the new BBC News site - don't get me started), and constantly going in, and out of the settings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Zoom....

"It would be nice to have a zoom in/zoom out function, "

Errm, you tap the screen to zoom in.....

2. Code Monkey

Zoom

A decent zoom is essential for a larger-fingered gentleman such as myself.

6. Mike Cardwell
    WTF?

line-height?

My God. It still doesn't support line-height. What sort of a modern browser doesn't support line-height. It was in CSS version 1 ffs. Think I'll stick with the standard browser for now. At least it renders websites properly.

7. alun phillips
    FAIL

Too little, too late

Had i been able to set 5.0 as default browser (yes i'd tried all the clunky intermediaries) I would probably still be using it, but as I am now using Froyo (CM 6.0 RC1 to be exact) and the standard browser is very rapid and X-scope renders pages much easier on a mobile screen, I am afraid Opera has missed it's chance with me

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

seems to work at first, built in file browser is win

shame it does not render pages correctly (random button on omploader? essential!)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I use it, but..

The interface is rough and clumsy compared to the default Android browser, and the rendering isn't nearly as good.

However, I use Opera anyway- for the bandwidth savings. It eats into my data allowance less, and also works a great deal better when you're on a train which keeps going through tunnels. That last bit is important, if you're reading your interpipes while commuting..

It's free, it's not crippled, doesn't have ads, so you may as well give it a whirl. For some people, the clunkyness will be too irritating, for others the bandwidth savings will make it all worthwhile.

10. David Hall
    Thumb Up

Nice as a backup browser

I only tend to use it when I'm stuck on a 2G network, but 5.1 is a solid upgrade. I do wonder what's keeping them from releasing Opera Mobile on Android though - they seem to be concentrating a bit too much on Symbian (and even Windows Mobile has it!) - considering both these platforms seem to be dying I'm not sure that's a wise move.

11. Random Noise

Nah

Tried it, but as others have said the rendering can be hit or miss. Much prefer being able to zoom in as much as I want with the default browser.

Maybe the next release will be a bit better.

12. Helmut Watson
    FAIL

De-betas??

Surely that should have read de-betafied ??

13. neilski
    Thumb Up

works through our http proxy

if you use the socket protocol it works through my works proxy server. don't know how but don't really care as I can browse to my hearts desire whilst on the lav.

14. KHobbits

Dolphin?

Last time I checked the most popular alternative android browser was Dolphin (or Dolphin HD for android 2+ devices). A little surprised not to see a comment nor mention in the post.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like