back to article Labour clings to the good old days

New Labour may be out of government – but not according to the personal websites of several of their leading lights. On Monday, we reported on attempts by former Identity Minister, Meg Hillier to derail coalition attempts to unpick Labour’s Identity Card plans. We were amused to note that according to her site, she was still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Labout and denial

New Labour were always in denial. Blair was in denial about the war - covered his ears and pretended the thousands of people marching against it simply weren't there.

And Brown was in denial about about very few people indeed wanting him as PM. We never voted him as PM, and, according to recent reports, when told by Clegg the British people didn't want him for another 5 years, Brown's answer was "OK. I'll do 1 more year then" to (and this is the funny bit) "get us through the recession".

Keep us in it more like, you unelected talent-vacuum.

Oh, and the Millibands, now trying to make out New Labour was nothing to do with them is quite comical too. Although they both sound like Blair with their artificial glottal stops, which apparently will help the Oxford-educated 12-year-old-alikes relate more to the common man. Patronising shits.

/rant

1. Steen Hive
      FAIL

Aw for god's sake!

"Keep us in it more like, you unelected talent-vacuum."

In what bizarro universe was McBroon unelected, bearing in mind that the Prime Minister is appointed by Lizzie II?

You lot are simply another argument against universal franchise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"We never voted him as PM"

Miss Bee, can't you write a simple script that picks up this f#cking phrase in a post and deletes it and the poster for ever?

PLEASE!!!!

1. Flugal

If it helps

Correct, we do not directly vote for a PM. However, as most of us know, we vote for our local Parliamentary candidate in the knowledge that the leader of the party we voted for will, if that party gets a Parliamentary majority, become PM. Most people know when they're voting Tory its because they want the Tory leader to be PM, vote Labour because they want the Labour leader to be PM etc.

A shortcut to that, that most people get, is to say 'voted for X as PM'.

The point here - as if you didn't know, is that when Labour were last voted into power, Tony Blair was their leader. The only time Gordon Brown was the Labour party leader at the time of a general election, the public voted (through the aforementioned method of selecting their local MP) in such a way that the leader of the Labour party would not be PM.

Or, to put it another way, "We never voted him as PM".

(But as a part time grammar Nazi, I have sympathy for the point you made)

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: If it helps

I love this argument! Let's have it every day!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very cruel

But distinctly fair.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge

But

These people absolutely knew they were right (the kept telling us so) therefore, the only possible explanation is that the election didn't actually happen, and is a fiction put about by the cunt[s]rie[/s]s enemies.

4. Mark Donnison
    Pirate

IT less

I expect that one of the perks they lost, when failing to get themselves back into power was unlimited access to IT staff to build and update their websites/blogs.

I don't believe any politician should have access to public funds or publicly funded professionals for the purpose of self promotion, in power or not.

If they want to promote themselves, that’s fine but they should either learn the skills they need to do it or pay for it out of their own pockets, the same as the rest of us.

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Move on, nothing to see here

NuLabour lived in their own derailed, parallel world for years. Why should get real now? Leave them where they are and let's hope they never come back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@and let's hope they never come back

Really? About 10 years ago the Tories were never going to come back. I would have said we should have made sure, but the Brown-Blair-Mandy-and-all-their-minions-on-the-front-benches cabal actually made me glad the Tories are back! Unbelievably. But if each successive roll of that two-sided dice creates an exponentially worse Govt. than the preceding one, let's for the FSM's sake do more than just hope this time!

6. AndricD
    IT Angle

bitchy, not news

what real interest is this on IT as opposed to tory propagandist gloating?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

See Mark Donnison above!

See above.

2. NogginTheNog
      Stop

Attitudes?

I suspect it's another example of the very common phenomenum of people who have no clue about the Internet paying others to just knock up a website for them, without any consideration for keeping the information on there current.

That and the muppets who get el cheapo hobby 'web designers' to make them a slick looking Flash site which is completely blank to those on mobiles, work PCs, the blind...

7. dephormation.org.uk
    Pint

Gordon Brown MP?

Buy yourself a pint of beer if you can find any trace of his web site.

And if not, pity his constituents who want to get in touch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just pity them.

And his missus. They must have been hoping he'd have them a new brayne built. A coal-fired one. Now it'll never happen.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Did you check any Tory or Lib Dem blogs?

It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't updated theirs either, probably because they still can't believe they're in government.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good idea so I checked one

The main text of the page is post May but one of the meta tag is out of date:

<meta name="description" content="xxxx xxxx is the Conservative Candidate for xxxxxx " />

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

An IT Angle

Ignoreing the political angle entirely. We know these guys are out, but if we were dealing with a less well known organization how would we know that the sites were out of date?

One of the problems of the web is that there are no standard ways for cheking that the info on a site is up to date. Unless the site builder has put in a helpful "last updated" tag (and used it), you are left guessing base on how fasionable the page design is :)

Anything in HTML 5 that will solve this? Or does the Iphone have an app for that?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Agreed ...

... and if you are looking for resolutions to technical problems a quick search usually drags up ancient pages whose solutions have long been superceded. Ubuntu forums, I'm looking at you ---

This topic is closed for new posts.