back to article Zeus baddies unleash nasty new bank Trojan

Hackers have created a new version of the Zeus crimeware toolkit that's designed to swipe bank login details of Spanish, German, UK and US banks. The malware payload, described by CA as Zeus version 3, is far more selective in the banks it targets. Previous versions targeted financial institutions around the world while the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russia can't remain a harbour for long

I can't see how Russia can remain a safe harbour for these criminals for long. It must know that it has to be seen to be a responsible International citizen and take these people down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Makes me wonder if Vladimir Putin...

likes the image and idea of Russian hackers stealing from the West. By not taking any significant steps against these hackers he gets to tell the west: "See, even our criminal are smarter than yours." and "You can't make make me do anything I don't want to do."

There is, of course, every possibility that these smart hackers are hired by the government for sensitive work and allowing them to do this is a little bonus incentive, with money going both ways. I mean that would only be fair.

"Hey, just 'cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong." he mutters to himself as he notices the faint sound of helicopters in the distance.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ AC

""You can't make make me do anything I don't want to do."

True to a point, for surely it is technically possible to mostly cut Russia off from the rest of the net? All we need is political incentive (i.e. the right person's bank account is compromised).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Payback time?

To be fair, we did encourage the halfwits Yeltsin and Gaidar to destroy their economy. Without that who would have voted for Putin? Mines the one with the Polonium 210 in the pocket. (It's OK., it's in a Morrison's bag.)

2. James Pickett
    Coat

Beware Greeks bearing gifts

You'd think it was run from Greece, given the state of their finances and the fact that it's a Trojan...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

If only...

'It employs layers of protection by applying the principle of least privilege.'

all software developers adopted the same priciples the net would be a safer place.

4. Stevie

Bah!

Hosted in Russia. Big surprise.

Server farm owned by Seamus O'Houlihan, Paddy Reilly and Mick Paisley plc no doubt. Entire operation designed to "demonstrate flaws" in banking security.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's fine!

If they're only targeting banks in those countries - I'd swear my bank was based in India, given that every time I phone there's an Indian voice on the other end!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Previous versions targeted financial institutions

What desktop Operating System does Zeus target and require in order to carry out its nefarious activities. Or are we not supposed to talk about that?

1. The_Police!
      FAIL

You can talk about it!

No-one is forcing you not to talk about it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like