back to article Microsoft 'gets serious' with Windows Phone 7 tools

Microsoft has released final beta tools for building Windows Phone 7 applications and said it's time to get serious ahead of this October's launch. The company has said the phone's APIs are now close to completion. Among the changes, Microsoft's Expression Blend has been integrated with the tools - Blend is Microsoft's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. teapot9999

Win 7 phone - who cares?

I have an iPhone - it is great.

I also have an Android phone which is also good and almost on a par with iPhone.

Am I remotely interested in Windows 7 Phone - no, not at all. MS Mobile 5/6 was hideous, and everything has just moved on past Microsoft since.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@teapot9999

I'm just not sure what Microsoft thinks they will be able to accomplish with a phone aimed at consumers. The Zune failed miserably (though the form factor is quite nice, and a lot like the new iPhone). What will they be able to bring to the mix that Android and iPhone don't already tap. Is there a big enough group of anti-Android and anti-iPhone to warrant such a move?

I think not, I think this is not going to do anything but fail, but it'll be fun watching the show - grab the popcorn!

2. Little Poppet

WP7 unique?

"Am I remotely interested in Windows 7 Phone - no, not at all. MS Mobile 5/6 was hideous, and everything has just moved on past Microsoft since."

Oh dear, such a closed mind. I've never had a Windows Phone but that may change depending on how it goes when it's released. My contract is up in November, so I was initially considering the Apple option - the problems they've been having lately has somewhat altered my view. So it's between Android and WP7. Although Android has a rather 'old' interface.

But going back to your comment, what has MS Mobile 5/6 got to do with WP7? If you did a bit more research you'd realise that the OS is a complete rethink from the ground up.

I am certainly intrigued about the OS/interface - it's clear there's nothing like it at the moment - a definite rethink of the rather tired looking icon-based derivatives we see in Android, IOS etc.

I agree MS are behind in the game though - a lot of catching up to do! - but I applaud their attempts to innovate rather than sticking with Mobile 6.

But we will see...

2. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

I like it. Windows 7 is being bigged up to fall even further.

"We’re back and we’re back with something very different and very innovative."

Sounds like pride before a fall. You know he will be eating his words in October when it rolls out and does nowt. Someone pass the popcorn.

More interestingly though, I like the idea of the being able to lock the phone via the internet, making it unusable. I look forward to hackers and Denial attacks on that facility. Or better yet, stalkers and adulterers being able to get a map of where you are and when.

/sarcasm

1. jonathanb Silver badge

You can already do that

Remote wipe has been available since some service pack or other of Exchange 2003. Blackberry Enterprise service has had it for longer, and the iPhone/iPod has had it since they introduced Exchange Support and MobileMe. Apple also has find my phone facilities in MobileMe.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remote erasure?

A hackers dream?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copy and Pasted

iphone already has remote erasure years ago ... so it will be interesting if MS follows how Apple does it. Otherwise it will be a house of bricks.

5. Rogerborg

Sorry, which languages?

How about Japanese? Korean? Chinese? How's the kanji/kana/hangul/hanzi supprot? Oh, but all those weird squiggles are so confusing! Can't we all just use ASCII, like the Baby Jesus?

6. The Original Steve

Remote erasing...

Um - this has been an enterprise feature of ActiveSync since an update pack for WinMo 5. Same feature is on my fleet of Nokia's and also my HTC Desire.

Don't see why you think the security is worse as soon as it's in a re-write of the client platform. ActiveSync has been rock solid for years and it's the same protocol used for Win Phone 7 devices.

Great it's finally making it's way to consumer devices.

Got a Desire at the moment which is great, and personally Windows Phone 7 is too restrictive for my tastes right now. However in another year or so, assuming there's removable storage/battery and the OS is updated with copy/paste and other stuff I laughed at the iPhone for failing at doing then I'll think about it.

Look at it from another point of view. It's an iPhone competitor that's cheaper, has removable storage and doesn't require iTunes... i'd be tempted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@The Original Steve

"It's an iPhone competitor that's cheaper, has removable storage and doesn't require iTunes... i'd be tempted."

Like the Zune killed the iPod? You're not good at predicting these things are you?<wry grin>

7. DrJaymansLoveCookie
    Thumb Down

Meh

This is the gazillionth MS hype article in the last two days. Enough already.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

@Dr Jaymans....

It's WWCD ffs.

8. FARfetched
    Coat

Don't forget the "ad-serving machine"

Because that's what we all want, our data caps being busted by ads pushed down to the phone when we're not even using it, right?

My coat doesn't have a phone in it at the moment.

9. pj3090

This time we're *serious*

You thought wasting $2 billion on the KIN was a big deal? Just wait until you see how much money we blow on this!

10. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Watchin' Windows Phone Series 7

is gonna be 'KIN fantastic!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

bring free tools!

it will fail even UI is OK, if the developer tools for the development on the winphone are not free. visual studio costs 2000 for god's sake!.

for iphone and android they are free (even if for iphone you need a mac).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is free!

Firstly, Visual Studio does not cost £2000 unless you're geting team edition or similar.

Secondly, Windows Phone 7 development is available in Visual Studio 2010 Express which is free.

Nice to see you bothered to do some research (read: one google search) before posting.

If you're a student you can get Professional edition for under £100 which is well worth it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

Less than 2000 does not mean free

I meant 2000Euros sorry. That is not the team edition, but it's the edition one needs to code NOW for winmo 6.5. So it's still a lot of money for an application that you don't know it will bring money.Even a student has to pay something for the professional edition.

We're talking here about released software not beta versions, did you notice that it was a beta in your google search. You can't be sure that winmo7 will still be free after being released..

So no it's not free.

Paris, because she too can google things (i.e. "research").

12. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

I just enjoy the comments about Microsoft

And their bad service, bad software and bad attitudes,.

I also love to kick Microsoft to the kerb - one cent at a time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like