back to article .NET spell-checker trips over hypenation

Here's a top tip for purveyors of spell-checkers: use your spell-checker to spell check your blurb: Grab of spell-checker site with numerous spelling errors Excellent stuff, and a round of applause for shattering the "library" misspelling world record. ® Bootnote Ta very much to Sandy Burger for the heads-up.

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. erbkaiser
    Thumb Up

Obviously this is done on purpose

Obviously this is done on purpose -- people that don't notice the errors won't need a spelling checker anyway!

2. jake Silver badge

Owed to a Spell Checker (AKA "Candidate for a Pullet Surprise")

I have a spelling checker,

It came with my PC.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your sure reel glad two no.

Its vary polished in it's weigh.

My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,

It freeze yew lodes of thyme.

It helps me right awl stiles two reed,

And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed too bee a joule.

The checker pours o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's

Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,

We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling

Is checked with such grate flare,

Their are know fault's with in my cite,

Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,

It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den

With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should bee proud,

And wee mussed dew the best wee can,

Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays

Such soft wear four pea seas,

And why eye brake in two averse

Buy righting want too pleas.

-Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar, early 1990s

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"...use your spell-checker to spell check your blurb"

Maybe they did.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Bootnote

"Ta very much to Sandy Burger for the heads-up"

Sandy Burger? Sounds like a great pr0n star name to me....!!! Anyone ever had a Sandy Burger?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I dunno

I dunno. Having a sandy burger sounds kinda painful.

2. Death Boffin
      Badgers

That's pants

Sandy Berger was the Clinton administration official convicted of stuffing secret documents down his trousers and walking out of the National Archives.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just sayin'

Bad spelling usually means there's malware afoot ...

6. grandvizier

Most unfair

I may have missed it, but at no point did I see a claim that it would be the correct spelling.. after all the hint is in the name surely NH-'unspell'?

7. Tzael
    FAIL

Provocatively misleading - got a grudge against someone?

Another attempt by the reg to make it look like Microsoft has done something wrong when in fact the only relationship between this pathetic spell checker and Microsoft is the use of .NET libraries. It is not the fault of those libraries for the spell-checker's apparent ineffectiveness.

How about you change the title to be more accurate?

"Maierhofer spell-checker trips over hypenation" - there fixed it for you.

1. Ian Yates
      Troll

Really?

I certainly didn't get any anti-MS bias from the article.

.NET is a platform, not everything .NET is MS

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

As you can see our HTML Editor hasn't NHunspell support

That is really funny. As you can see, our HTML editor hasn't NHunspell support. I will correct this as soon as I've written a plugin for our HTML editor.

Kind regards Thomas Maierhofer

1. GrantB
      FAIL

Our HTML editor?

Er, some of us just use Firefox which comes complete with a spell checker (even Australian English). Maybe even just spell check in a word processor before copy & pasting to a site.

Makes more sense to highlight the fact that if you don't build the component into your app, you might get copy like that shown.

Of course, MS build a spell checker into some apps so you think that they should supply a spell-checker built into Windows as a service, so that every application can share a custom dictionary.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Not just spelling...

"NHunspell is C # library..."

...grammar too!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why...

... I don't use spell checkers at all. Yes, sometimes something slips through, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have with one of those; even a grammar checker can't tell me if what I'm writing doesn't make sense.

As they say, creative licence in writing requires an extraordinary good grasp of the language, which is why Writers can get away with things that plain don't work when tried by a 13 year old with obviously poor language skills and a penchant for ``saving'' on vowels. Even with assistive software.

11. Kae Verens

missing one

You missed the mis-spelling of "adapted" (spelled as "adopted" in the blurb)

12. Rattus Rattus

For a job that requires a lot of writing,

perhaps one of the key requirements should be an ability to spell in the first place?

13. Andrew Garrard

Spelling and sourcery

My problem with spell-checkers is that my fingers can spell even when my brain fails. If I make a typo, there's a good chance that my fingers will complete it to a valid but different word from that intended, which obviously doesn't get caught by a spell-checker. I have a tendency to do the same when programming (valid syntax, broken semantics).

The writer here appears to have a whole different set of problems.

14. homokip
    Thumb Down

sad ad

I'm really sorry to see that they messed up the ad for this, but at least I've learnt about this C# wrapper... Because this is just some C# wrapper around the otherwise C-only library that is available at http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/

The wrapper is at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/hunspell-for-net.aspx?msg=2961319 and

http://nhunspell.sourceforge.net/

I am grateful to Mr. Thomas Maierhofer for releasing this C# wrapper as well, although I am very sad about the way the ad is written. No questions, this is bad marketing for an otherwise very good library (&dictionaries) and a wrapper (which I haven't tested.)

Actually, the spellchecker, hyphenation and the corresponding dictionaries are really very good and advanced stuff, much better than the one included in MS Word itself. And I am proud to say was made by some of my fellow Hungarians (some of them earning money as linguists in UK universities), so **misspellings in the ad have nothing to do with the quality of the library and the dictionaries used**.

I agree, it's somehow funny to see such a mess in an ad (&homepage) for a spell checker. But if you live & work in a multi-cultural environment or in a foreign country, you wouldn't even laugh out loud... We rape the rules and spellings of your mother tongue each and every day so many times, we don't even notice. Have you heard the English e.g. a Hungarian and a Slovakian uses during business negotiations? That's why the French are so happy to see their language not being a lingua franca anymore.

BTW, I hear, the Right Honourable Baroness Ashton that you've sent to the EU as a representative of foreign affairs fails to speak any language other than her native one. Do you think any French would mock at her French spelling?

This topic is closed for new posts.