back to article Website offers virtual substance abuse, P2P pressure

Online game universes continue to move forward in their attempts to offer intense human experiences to isolated dorks who refuse to leave their bedrooms. The latest trend now appears to be online drug-use. MIT's Tech Review reported last Friday on RedLightCenter.com, a site which until now has focused on web-pimp functions. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virtual gastronomy

Perhaps the future of online "gaming" will be virtual eating, whereby real life people who are sitting at their computer, eating nachos, will control little men and women that sit inside a virtual world, eating imaginary pâté de foie gras, and drinking imaginary Bollinger, imaginarily. For what end I do not know.

2. Jason Togneri

Watchingpaintdry.com?

I'm afraid it's already been done. You linked (okay, it wasn't a link, but let's not be pedantic) to a real site.

www.watchingpaintdry.com

The .net and .org variants appear to be broken 'web search'/spam pages, although interestingly www.watchingpaintdry.info - a damn fine URL, if you ask me - is up for grabs. Hmm. I might just go and register it...

3. Rick

Culling the Species

This is great if we keep them in a virtual world long enough when the machines take over they will be the first to become enslaved. If not maybe they will virtually overdose. Either way keeps a health gene pool for the species.

4. Philip J.F. Quinlan

The following morning

Do they get spiders crawling out from under their spreadsheets and wobbles in the colour depth/palate the following day when they attempt to use their machines for work?<p>

A good X-Roach style skittering the morning after hallucinogens and they'd soon wise up.

<p>

<b>PS:</b> Any chance of a gram of virtual speed for my pathetic broadband connection

5. Chris Cheale

That sounds like

----------------------------------------------

It can't be too long until we have virtual real-ale night down the pub, simulated afternoons catatonically watching Trisha while picking one's nose, or online chairs by the fire with pipe and slippers.

----------------------------------------------

That sounds like the Sims online to me... not that I ever played it but the original version left me with the distinct feeling that I'd just spent a couple of hours after work getting my Sims up in time to go to work, get home, cook tea etc... At which point I realised just how surreal and pointless playing the Sims actually was.

... I'm sitting playing a game on my computer of a Sim playing a game on their computer, I wonder what they're playing?...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Kamilion Schnook of Second Life

Oh come on... WAY Too late, El Reg.

This is not new, I've been selling virtual bongs, hookahs and cocaine tables for nearly 2 years in second life.

420 Supplies, the original purveyor of smoking devices in Second Life...

Damnit, El Reg, you're waaay too late to be reporting on this.

And tell Simon to start making fun of SL in BOFH.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like