back to article ATM hack presentation ditched after legal threats

A planned presentation about ATM security at the Hack in the Box conference in Amsterdam last week was cancelled following legal pressure from vendors. Italian ethical hacker Raoul Chiesa intended to explain how vulnerabilities and security shortcomings that that cyber criminals were using to break into ATMs as part of his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

Was that the sound...

... of stable doors being slammed as the horse disappears over the horizon...?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

I've read his presentation and all I can say is "ARRRGHHH, MY EYES!".

3. JaitcH
    Pint

Transparency is the best way - legal threats are usually worthless

Obviously the trade group has a lot to hide as it's members terminals have flaws, like so many other things including voting machines. Why should these defects be protected speech?

For a copy of the official document check with: < http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/ar/deliverables/2009/atmcrime >.

Also note:

Ref. code: ISBN-13 978-92-9204-023-9

Publication date: Sep 07, 2009

Authors: ENISA

4. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Pint

Pure Genius

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Heads in the sand

Shouting:

"I can't hear you; I can't hear you; There's nothing wrong; na na na na.."

Whispering:

"I think I heard something, send in the attack lawers"

Shouting:

"I can't hear you; I can't hear you; There's nothing wrong; na na na na.."

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

So vendors and banks *know* ATM's have vulnerabilities

That just don't want Joe citizen to realize it.

What's that? Nothing to hide, nothing to fear?

Funny how you never hear that from a corporation.

BTW Skip the online version. It's been sanitised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

You bet they do

I worked on ATMs when they first arrived in the UK. People used to get duplicate transactions on their statements and the banks lined up to appear on the news telling people that they must have been careless with their pin, it was their sons and daughters, or maybe spouses that had stolen the money from them. The technology COULD NOT duplicate a transaction so the punter was liable for all withdrawals.

At the same time, I was employed by one of them to help resolve the duplicate transaction issue with the atms.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Slides available online...

Technically yes, but the slides about ATM hacking were removed, you just see:

ATM frauds generations

THIS IS A SANITIZED VERSION OF MY TALK: YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS SLIDES HERE.

YOU SHOULD HAVE ATTENDED NULLCON 2010!!!

8. nichomach
    FAIL

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITLE!

"The talk focused on security flaws that have been well understood among banking security experts, if not among the general public, for years. "

Am I alone in thinking that the qualifier after the first comma may be a significant factor in trying to shut down these sorts of presentations?

This topic is closed for new posts.