back to article Nine Inch Nails guy scores Facebook movie... bitch!

Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor confirmed that he is writing the soundtrack for David Fincher’s upcoming film about Facebook - The Social Network. He has been working with collaborator Atticus Ross on the score. Reznor announced his involvement in the movie in a blog post on his website late last week. “I've always …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey

Facebook Movie

"Frank just had a dump, lol" spun out to feature-length.

One to avoid methinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm rather bemused as to what Fincher saw in this story

but it should be interesting finding out

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

letters and/or digits

Does anyone know why the reg append "bitch" to every headline about facebook?

I have no idea if what I'm missing is worth knowing or not.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Pint

Because....

Zuckerberg has a Pulp-Fiction like wallet with "I'm CEO, bitch". I think.

1. Neoc

Close...

It was on his business cards: "I'm CEO... bitch".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Poor Trent

He has turned into the sort of massive failboat that he used to hate. His heart is in the right place, but he hasn't put out a good album since The Downward Spiral/Further Down The Spiral.

At least he makes some of his old tracks available as separate samples and invites people to remix them- he's clearly well-meaning, even if his own work is weak and self-indulgent now.

1. David Simpson 1
      Stop

NIN NI NO NUM

Sorry Mr. Tasteless but the album you're missing is called The Fragile, by far and away his best work up there with Pretty Hate Machine, have you listened to his latest "How to Destroy Angels" it's a free download and also rather tasty.

Fail is in the eye of the failure.

1. yomchi86
        Stop

Couldn't agree more..

With Teeth is an awesome album as are the "b-sides" and lesser well known albums that are alternative arrangements or remixes. Like you say, failure is an opinion. Odd maybe but I gotta disagree with the failure comment :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

No, I'm really not

"The Fragile" was chinstroking dinnerparty fare in comparison to the NiN of old, of Broken and Fixed, of Closer.

The Fragile is industrial for Coldplay fans.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Heart

wot!

maybe you should listen to With Teeth, that's a good one. I actually only find Broken and the Slip to be not so good. Trent reinvents his music almost with every album.

The heart, because it's all about love in Trent's music ;).

1. Semaj
        Thumb Down

a

The only people that liked his new stuff are the Creative Commons fanbois who don't like it for the music. NIN is now douchebag trendy and it's a bloody shame (says it all that he also gives away Mac desktop backgrounds with his stuff).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

exactly

NiN is for hipster douchebags these days, sadly. People who'd be too scared to go to an old-style NiN or Skinny Puppy show, in case they stained their ironic Ed Hardies. Sadly, we seem to have a load of them in this thread.

I'm off to dust off the "closer" boxed set..

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    WTF?

Humanity is doomed

Jesus wept? Seriously, a film about Facebook? Has art really descended that low? There must be thousands of talented script writers and directors desperate for a break and this utter shit passes for entertainment? Facebook is a tool ( then again so is the bloke that developed it! ), I don't see many films glorying the Magimix, AA route planning website or the B&Q BBQ with matching tong and cutlery set!

Tell you what why not make a film about me sitting on the sofa in my grotts, scratching my bits? It might be a pointless waste of 90 mins but by God it would a darn sight more flipping interesting than 90 mins of Reznor's racket set to a film stroking Zuckerberg's already over-inflated ego!!

1. neek
      Happy

Films about mundane things

Oh, I dunno, I remember a film about a taxi driver that caught a certain amount of interest, and it was almost completely unrelated to actual taxis. One good thing about film is that it is not necessarily a tedious reworking of the bland facts relating to the subject matter of its namesake, but is in fact a work of imagination that can be, dare I say, creatively worked from, perhaps, bland beginnings.

I'm not saying FtM will be good, just that one shouldn't write a work off based on ones own preconceptions. Then again, you seem to be fairly disgusted by both Reznor and Zuckerberg, so I accept there's probably no winning you round. However, I felt your argument required a rebuttal.

1. Jerome 0

Re: Films about mundane things

That's all fair enough, but I don't remember Taxi Driver being billed as "a film about driving taxis". Even aside from its dreadful title, "The Social Network" is resolutely billed as "a film about Facebook".

We can but hope that this is all merely a ruse to make us believe the film will be awful. David Fincher doesn't have a bad pedigree, and if Reznor is involved then that must at least be an indication that this isn't the bland rubbish it might first appear.

6. John Greenwood 1
    FAIL

Potential Spinoff...

Farmville the Movie anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

re: "Potential Spinoff..."

Farmville the movie? Only if it can be directed by the thrillingly talented Uwe Bolle?

2. David Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

How now ?

Moooooooo!

7. Thomas 18
    WTF?

If trent likes the script

It must be good... or at least better than it sounds which wouldn't be hard because it sounds bloody awful as a concept.

8. Xniner

Facebook is

a snooze fest. I've tried it and cannot understand the appeal of it. It makes perfect sense for Reznor to score this movie in an effort to keep theatre goers awake. Besides now that NIN did its farewell tour and HTDA proved disappointing, he needs a creative project to pull him out of his slump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You need

freinds.

1. Oz
        Joke

And you need....

a spell-checker!

9. skeptical i

It's probably a zombie movie.

Beat 'em or burn 'em.

10. Kuthridge
    Thumb Up

Agreed

I don't think Trent would have gotten involved if the script wasn't any good. My guess is Zuckerberg as the antagonist.

11. Jay 3
    Thumb Up

Trent ..... Fuck Yeha!

I love Trent. I wish that all the self indulgent assholes out there could be half as enlightened (ok delusional) as him.

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Trent working at a social network movie ?

The same Trent who was pretty much forced to stop twittering to prevent him from making an ever bigger ass of himself ?

I am/was a huge NiN fan, but I just wish they took his iPhone away from him 2 years ago, locked him up in a dungeon, and just had him make new music, instead of rehashing the same loops from the last few years.

*not bitter.. no really*

13. Andrew Oakley
    Pint

Requiem for Pop Will Eat Itself

God help us. Trent Reznor has become the new Clint Poppie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Mansell

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Title song ..

"Head like a hole" ?

Because you need one to get on FaceBook - and if not, you DEFINITELY need one to make a _movie_ about it ...

Fail under construction, expect catastrophe to follow ...

15. Bernard M. Orwell
    Grenade

Same old guff...

I see the facebook haters are out in force today. I suspect most of them haven't even bothered trying it out to see if it has any potential good points. No, they'd rather sit at home and rail against emerging social technologies just like their grandparents refused to have a television in their homes, or their great-grandparents didn't trust the automobile.

Guess there's some folks you just can't reach. I'm glad that techies generally accept the inevitable evolution of networking, same as the other 16% (or so) of the Earths population that think Facebook is actually pretty good. I mean, you don't expect to find technophobes amongst our number..,..

...oh wait. I scent a fail. A mass fail.

Never mind, we can always chuck our shoes into the machinery, eh?

I am a fan of Facebook, but not of Zuckerberg, or Farmville, or inane updates, but I am a fan of keeping in touch and re-establishing contact with dozens of old friends that I've not seen in years. If Facebooks CONTENT annoys you then I have news for you; you can TAILOR the content to suit. If you can't do that then I wonder why you read El Reg.

(I suspect flame are in my future. Lovely.)

16. boony
    Happy

Soundtrack record

Trent has done some excellent soundtrack work. Natural Born Killers ost is pretty darned brilliant, even on closer examination. Similarly Lost Highway.

I will watch the film simply because Trent is doing the soundtrack - if the film is guff I can just close my eyes

17. Dan Breen
    Thumb Up

Trent Reznor

The man who puts the MENTAL into Instrumentalist.

I loved Pretty Hate Machine when it I first got a copy, Broken and fixed are good but there are other bands that did it better. If you get a chance, find VAST's first album or anything by Rico.

Still, if he does go the same way as Clint Poppie then that's no bad thing really.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Trent Reznor

I remember Vast and Rico - there's no real comparison, surely. Reznor's a bit of a genius.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A humble change of tense

Was a genius, ma'am, was.

Sadly, he's turned into what he used to lampoon. However, still love him dearly, even if he has shot his creative wad some time ago.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who knew that Reg commentards were all such movie moguls

that they've seen a film which hasn't been finished yet and are able to give us such concise reviews?

19. Iain 4
    Stop

It's not about "Facebook" that way

It's the story of Zuckerberg vs. the assorted people he's worked with (and been sued by for stealing IP) over the years. Aaron Sorkin's written the screenplay, so I can't see it being anything less than marvellous.

Your opinion of the worthiness of Farmville isn't exactly relevant here.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Farmville the Movie?

As long as the plot involves MI6 "arranging an accident for" everybody who had anything to do with creating Farmville or a TSR-2 nuking a fictitious version thereof, I'll pay to see it :)

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wow

Even if the film isn't about "FB" and more about the personal dynamics of Mr. Bitch, I still think it's throwing good money away. For some reason, I don't see this hitting the wide screens; maybe direct to dvd or download?

Seriously, this is just sad.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

<insert title here>

Sorry the only way the facebook movie could be remotely interesting, even with Trent involved, is if they are remaking the "Happiness in Slavery" music video

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like