back to article ISS crew capture robotic spacecraft

The International Space Station crew successfully captured the Progress 38 spacecraft yesterday, after the unmanned Russian supply vessel sailed past the orbiting outpost on Friday. A telemetry failure 25 minutes before docking prompted last week's unscheduled flyby. The cause was a glitch in the TORU teleoperated rendezvous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dale 3

Holiday

I wonder what astronauts do in space on a holiday. Not like they can fire up the barbeque and go for a swim. Must be quite boring if they aren't working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think its a little like being on an oil rig

You do a rotation, then you get equivalent time off, i could be wrong though

2. Feldspa
      Alert

warning

I wouldnt recommend they use Fireworks!

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Holiday

I suppose a game of darts is out of the question?

2. David_H
    Flame

Fleshy

So the problem was in supporting the Fleshy.

Just let our mechanoid overlords get on with it!

1. Daniel 1

Ukranians,actually

As in, not supporting the Ukranians, under any circumstances.

The KURS guidance system is now owned by a company in the Ukraine, and the Ukranians have been upping the prices on the units they sell to the Russian Space Agency. As a result, the Russian Federal Space Agency stopped buying new units, and the ISS crew now take out and dismantle the capsule-part of the KURS from each Progress or Soyuz supply ship that visits them, and store it aboard the station, for return to Earth and reuse on another flight.

Some of these KURS systems are now amongst the longest-serving items of electronics in the history of space exploration (beaten by parts of the US shuttles, themselves, of course). Many of them date from the days of Mir, when RKA still had a routine need for automated docking, and they may be getting a bit ropey.

So, personally, I welcome our valve-and-capacitor-driven Bakelite Overlords: try writing a computer virus for that hardware, Jeff Goldblum.

3. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

franchising?

someone needs to open a branch of quarks up there....

4. Sureo
    Happy

I'm sure its OK...

... as long as the toilets keep working.

5. ravenviz Silver badge
    Troll

All ISS systems continue to function nominally, except those noted previously or below

So now they need a failsafe for the human override failsafe. Why don't they just put a monkey inside the module just in case?

6. Elsie
    Thumb Up

We saw both ....

... on Saturday night.

I was looking out for the ISS on Saturday night and we lucky enough to see it and Progress just in front. Pretty spectacular watching two vehicles passing overhead in line at 17,500 mph!

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

fish sandwiches....

I like them.....oh. a fish sandwich.....oh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like