back to article IBM declares undying love for Mozilla's Firefox

Big Blue has ditched an unnamed browser in favour of Mozilla’s Firefox, the company’s Bob Sutor confirmed in a blog post today. IBM’s open source and Linux veep didn’t reveal which surfing tool the firm had dropped, but Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, Google’s Chrome, Apple’s Safari and Opera Software’s Opera were all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logical inconsistency

“For the shift to the cloud to be successful, open standards must be used in the infrastructure, in the applications, and in the way people exchange data,”

If open standards are in use, why do they feel the need to mandate a particular browser?

1. Geoff Mackenzie

Definitely too much coffee there

You missed the part where they said they wouldn't force people to use it as their default browsers.

2. Ian Rogers

standards != implementation

There's an important distinction between standards - particularly in representation, filing and API - and an implementation of those standards.

IBM is saying that open standards are good and that they'll use the best implementation of those standards. Firefox just happens to be the best implementation at the moment. The benefit of focusing on open standards rather than implementation as that one can always switch to a better tool/program if one comes along. There's a reason why MS has always dragged its feet about making their API and filing "standards" open...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Easy answer for you

They need to mandate a particular browser in order to get away from another particular browser notorious for its standards non-compliance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heading

I can't imagine many people aren't already on it. I worked at IBM when they first allowed (and encouraged highly) people to install and use Firefox. This was 5 years ago or so and most everyone I knew did - they weren't shy about hiding their hatred of Microsoft (big companies hold grudges a very long time!).

3. Pat O'Ban

Which browser?

HotJava - http://java.sun.com/products/archive/hotjava/index.html

Now owned by Oracle.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

From the inside

Farewell IE6 - utter crap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Knowing IBM..

They've probably just ditched Mosaic...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or maybe web explorer?

... or perhaps Web Explorer - no prizes for guessing what that ran on.

6. Citizen Kaned

ironic then that....

i just stopped using firefox in favour of chrome.

i use IE for work stuff and generally have firefox open for el reg etc....

so sick of it crashing, forgetting my user details, loggin me out. etc etc. ive found it so unstable it made IE6 look amazing (ok, i wont talk about compatability and standards, just the user experience and reliability)

im amazed how much faster it is than firefox. its noticably faster.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Citizen Kaned

I used to "prefer" the features of Firefox despite its lack of reliability and its tedious slowness. Then I pared down my list of plug-ins to those I actually *require*, and showed the door to all the rest. No half-hearted "oh but I might, one day...".

The result was magical. My eeePC (no swap file, 1Gb onboard) rarely runs out of memory browsing in more than five tabs (got twelve open as I write this!). No random crashes. No unexplained freezes. Firefox is now reliable, and is capable of being open and coexisting with other applications. In fact, I know I can plug into the NAS and watch a movie and leave Firefox in the background, and when I come back, nothing will have changed!

I suggest if Firefox is acting like a pain in the ass, get rid of ALL of the plugins and extensions and clear your cache/cookies and install things one by one.

For what it is worth, here's my selection: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collection/heyrick [I also have FreeDownloadManager helper plugin, but that comes with FDM, not from Mozilla]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

about time

the default browser on the laptop build is ie6, i have no idea why maybe the slow moving laptop image team i guess, but they offer ie9, firefox 3.5 aswell on the official download site

8. SilverWave
    Boffin

Enterprise Deployment Tool - found it.

http://kaply.com/weblog/2010/03/03/cck-wizard-update-and-faqs/

Via ars.

9. Phil Rigby
    Pint

IE6

As of 2 years ago - when I worked for them - their web-based helpdesk app only ran in IE 6. Even IE 7 wasn't supported.

Cheers to IE6, we hardly knew ye.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

they still do

I don't know which part of IBM it is that has ditched IE6, but as their support (ticket/change) management application still only works properly on IE6. If you use Firefox or Safari, it tells you to download a modern browser. Safari on Mac works OK, but it does crash the application more often that it does on IE6. Firefox works in view only mode, but try and make updates and it crashes. IE7 and up is only not fully supported.

10. SilverWave
    Boffin

Where are the tools to manage Firefox in an Enterprise?

Would be good to know...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Silverwave

I don't have the whole story but there are Group Policy templates available on the web (I appear to have temporarily mislaid the address. . ahem) which we are using here. Installation can be managed by AD.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

IE

When I was with IBM, a major reason most of us in the software technical sales teams still used IE at all was for various (3rd party) CRM products that ran in the browser that only worked on IE. Maybe Siebel has finally moved on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Ya ...

I was with IBM only a year ago and on a Maximo/Siebel implementation that only worked on IE.

Additionally, many of the intranet bureaucracies required IE and weren't compatible with Firefox at all. This is like when IBM required all it's internal auditors to switch to Symphony - they could file a request form for Excel if they needed it for some feature, but the request form wouldn't open in Symphony.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Really?

"Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, Google’s Chrome, Apple’s Safari and Opera Software’s Opera were all effectively shown the door today"

No one told us. No one I know here at IBM heard of this yet. As usual I get my IBM news from Reg.

Couple of comments above about IE6. hmmm, we have all been told that IE8 is the minimum for the tools we use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"we have all been told"

Not here we haven't.

I've used FF since I joined in 2008 and only had to drop to IE6 for a particular internal app that has a dependency on the MSJVM,

Of course, that app still has that dependency, so using Win7 as I do now, I have to have XP Mode available to get to it.

BTW Chrome works fine for pretty much everything, same as FF as long as you run the browser as an Admin.

13. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Whichever browser we prefer

(I choose between Chromium, Chrome, FF, Opera, depending upon the situation and my mood), as users we all owe a vote of thanks to Mozilla and Firefox. Imagine the current state of browser technology and the browser market if they hadn't fought the good fight !...

Henri

14. Alan 36

helo BOFH

I was going to make a smart remark about whatever browser is in OS/2, but that appears to support FF too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#The_.22Warp.22_years

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

midcapwarrior

Let's see, IE from competitor, Crome from competitior, Safari from competitor. Pick the non-competitor and spin it for the open sore community knowing they will lap up anything. PR nothing less.

About as surprising as Google switching to crome with the same spin. At least the could reuse the template

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like