back to article Everything Everywhere now something somewhere

Orange and T-Mobile have legally merged into Everything Everywhere, though you wouldn't know it as we're still in the paper-shuffling stage. So everyone who worked for Orange and everyone who worked for T-Mobile now works for Everything Everywhere, but (for the moment at least) both brands will continue to exist and the two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Looking forward to roaming agreements

T-Mobile has awesome 3G coverage.

Orange seems to have better coverage in built up areas (around me at least).

Soon I will get th ebest of both worlds, and a word-class coverage network.

1. MrT

Coverage in some areas...

... doesn't even include T-Mobile, so they clearly have a lesser network across the whole country. I'm on T-M and lose signal in some of the extremities of the country, where my handset still reports Voda, O2 and t'Orange services still available in strength. Just can't use them yet unless it's an emergency. However, for 95% of the time, T-M has good coverage.

What I hope is that the T-M and Orange offer the best bits and not the worst of their services - for example my current contract is T-M's Android special, which means I get 3GB allowance instead of 1GB, and either is way better than Orange's 0.75GB, regardless of coverage.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

I wonder if the t-mob 'can do' attitude and the orange 'can't do' one will result in something similar to the Vodafone's 'can do but it'll cost you' :-)

3. Rob

Crap name

Should have gone with something like Orange-Tee

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ugh .. anyone got the number for O2?

After a few dealings with Orange in the distant past, I put them in the 'Over My Dead Body' category.

The thought that T-Mobile will catch Orange disease must have the other two sporting very big smiles.

The best we can hope for is that they will eventually get their act together (a la HP/Compaq).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

'Ugh' is correct

Funnily enough, I've had similar dealings with O2 and then vodafone.

Fortunately, t-mob have been great.

Apparently payg support is poor, but the contract support team have always been very helpful.

I just hope orange don't drag them down to their level!

2. Jeff Deacon
      Pint

downwards, alas ...

Of course Orange will drag T-Mobile downwards, it's what rationalisations do - lowest common denominator and all that.

Already voted with my wallet, and taken my T-Mobile PAYG number off to ASDA Mobile (Vodafone reseller at a fraction of the price).

5. NX1977

what about data tariffs?

Will they kill off T-Mobile's generous data packages?

Then there's orange Wednesdays, magic numbers, cheap home internet, and phone locks which will prevent a unified network for existing customers.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Catherine Keynes

Impossible to google

I though "Thus" was a name which was hard to google, but Everything Everywhere? 12million hits

1. David Beck

"everything everywhere" is not the same as everything everywhere

You might try using quote marks around the words. This gets me 300k hits, the first page had 13 hits, 10 of which were relevant.

You'd think that after "3" (three), they would have chosen more carefully.

For the iPhone users, quote marks are the two cute little squiglies under the zero character.

7. Piloti
    Badgers

Everything Everywhere.....

.... including unlatched devices, tethering, actual "un-limited data", the software / applications I want on my device etc.....

or

..... mode tied / latched devices, restrictive usage, capped / fair use policies, devices with applciations vanishing..... ie ; the same old crap but with a stupid bloody name.

8. Stephen Clifford

EE?

Please tell me that 'Everything Everywhere' wont eventually be the consumer brand name of their mobile network?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes thats the plan

Business customers will get "Orange Business" (not sure about current t-mobile business custs)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orange "Customer Service"

I have no experience of T-Mobile's Customer Service but surely it can't be as bad as Orange's? Which culture will have the upper hand?

After a particulerly gruelling run-in with OCS in the last couple of weeks I was thinking about moving all of the family phones but I might wait a bit and see what emerges . . .

1. Jeff Deacon
      Pint

Orange will have the upper hand.

T-Mobile just wanted out, so Orange will be supplying all the management of the new "joint venture". It's an Orange takeover.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: Orange will have the upper hand

You obviously haven't seen the new organisational structures, what you're saying can't be further from the truth.......

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They will have combined base stations of 22,000

but will economise to 18,000. Will give roaming between both masts in Sept ish, with full seamless transfer by early next year.

Should give a good coverage, but the monkeys on the end of the phone will be just as sh*te.

Mind you, with 15,000 Orange and 8,000 T-Mobile staff, expect large job losses next year.

Personally, Orange CS is absolute CR*P. T-Mobile conditions are too restrictive.

You can't win no matter who you choose.

1. David Beck

full seamless transfer by early next year????

Since they can't do it now within their networks what makes you think they will be able to do it across networks in the future?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Job Losses

T-Mobile have steadily gone through phases of TUPE'ing their staff off to other companies, such as Ericsson (which abbreviates itself to "E\\\") whose staff carry out all the works on the network. In order to show that Orange or T-Mobile are not making many redundancies, they'll most likely TUPE a whole load more staff at E\\\ and then let them take the hit for getting rid of staff, or attempt to divert them to other areas of their more diverse company. Perhaps.

And 23,000 combined staff for 22,000 combined base stations. Really? They must be fighting for work to do in their offices... :-P

1. Piloti
      Pint

Ericsson is.....

E///.

The E/// TUPE as you call is is part of the Managed Service that E/// do for lots of NetCo's. Basically, they run the network in line with the KPI's and budget offered by the NetCo. Totally diffferent to "getting rid of the waste". Although in T-Mobiles case.......

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One question

Everything Everywhere - so can I order pizza and have it delivered ?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are Orange THAT bad??

Interesting thread here- are Orange really that bad?? I've been a contract customer for about 10 years, and the biggest gripe I have is phone customisations that remove advertised features and the Orange TV Protection Policy meaning you can pay for crappy ITV but can't get the BBC and they won't let iPlayer work over 3G.

However, customer services are usually quick to answer and tend to resolve queries at first asking; the network is generally excellent where I am (West Coast Mainline coverage could be better through Staffordshire) and I never feel that I'm being screwed by them with data packages and minutes rolling over every month.

Yes, if you read the Ts and Cs you'll worry - no video streaming, no IM, etc, but then they don't actually seem to care in practice if you're not taking the p!ss.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like